Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Report & Pictures - 6th May 2006

Posted

Hi All, well we had another chase today although things did not go to plan with Mother Nature. We initially headed south west from Brownwood (Tx) and knew initiation would be early and rapid. We got to Brady at about 145pm and noticed a Cell that had got to 50,000 feet inside 20 minutes, so off we went, we intercepted it along Highway 283 just North of Junction (TX) and tracked it South and Eastwards.

post-24-1146977951_thumb.jpg post-24-1146977980.jpg - Junction Supercell Oh so Close yet Again !!

post-24-1146978026.jpg - Ran into Silver Lining Tours, Roger Hill with the Tripod

post-24-1146978075_thumb.jpg - Time to Move South & East again as Hail Core Coming

At this point for some reason the storm became Linear and crapped out so we core punched through it to the east and what we saw on the other side put the Chase into top gear once again.

post-24-1146978168.jpg - Supercell No 2 near Fredericksburg (Tx)

post-24-1146978216_thumb.jpg - Another Hail Core Coming Notice the Green Tinge to the sky above

post-24-1146978251.jpg - Someone in the distance is getting Nickel Sized Hail, 1st time we have heard Hail Roar

post-24-1146978344.jpg post-24-1146978373.jpg - Going to leave these alone and head North!

So not great today, we had the potential but certain things just were not happening.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Nice shots Paul pretty much got the same shots today we see rapid development in Harper Tx early afternoon the cell split N and E we took the East split which turned out to die when the north split got more active so we ended up chasing after that getting some shots before that too died a death :-) we then decided to haul ass and have just landed in Lubbuck Tx (0200hrs!) for some hopeful development north of here tomorrow 600MILES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!! im sooooo tired I could kick the cat! but the cats at home safe and sound lol night night all im now going to pass out. Steve.

Edited by stevestorms

Posted

Great photos Paul, Noticed the possible tornados in some of the pics. Keep chasing them storms and you will surely find the storms you need.

Steve

Posted

Very intresting to see the heavy hail, and hail roar is certainly a cool thing to here I'd guess (I'm lucky in that I heard a hail roar during the July 2004 MCS that gave golfball hail to my area.)

Posted

The more I look at some of these pics the more I realise that looking at the structure of these Supercells is more exciting than an actual tornado if this makes any sense :o .

Certainly is wetting my appetite for our own storms and cannot wait until im out taking pics of the cloud formations.

Thanks for posting these pics Paul. :)

Posted
Nice shots Paul pretty much got the same shots today we see rapid development in Harper Tx early afternoon the cell split N and E we took the East split which turned out to die when the north split got more active so we ended up chasing after that getting some shots before that too died a death :-) we then decided to haul ass and have just landed in Lubbuck Tx (0200hrs!) for some hopeful development north of here tomorrow 600MILES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!! im sooooo tired I could kick the cat! but the cats at home safe and sound lol night night all im now going to pass out. Steve.

Hi Steve, Should be with you near to Lubbock today, may even meet up, the Storms are something else this year arnt they, don't quite know what happened yesterday, still trying o get my head around the set-up yesterday and lots of head scratching was ongoing between me and Matt. High DP'S & Southerly flow with the Southern most storm and it died :o :) Now how the hell does that happen ??

Paul S