Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

A Backward Sunspot

Scribbler

Posted

Has Cycle 24 started?

A backward sunspot is a sign that the next solar cycle is beginning.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/15aug_backwards.htm

The next cycle, Solar Cycle 24, should begin "any time now," returning the sun to a stormy state, says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight in Huntsville, Alabama.

However…………for the full story see the article!

For other information about Solar Cycle 24 see -

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10...tormwarning.htm

Edited by Scribbler

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Thanks for those links Scribbler. I'm looking forward to an increase in Solar activity after a very quiet year.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

This is very interesting news, and if the article is right about the strength of the solar minima, then i would expect the period around 2011 to be very wet in association with a very active Jet Stream, of course, we should not forget that this very active solar cycle also correlates with the Gliessburg Maxima we are currently in and the minima that we shall enter after 2011 in association with the weak intensity of sunspot cycle 25..

Posted

It’s going to be rather interesting when the next solar max arrives because we’re all so dependant on our various airborne communication systems.

If there are excessive numbers of much more active sunspots there will be every chance of satellites being knocked out; mobile phones becoming useless and even the Internet being affected. :(

Am I wrong to suspect that we’re going to find ourselves in all sorts of trouble in 2011/2012? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

2012, 2012 now why does 2012 and the sun ring a bell??? Ah yes! the Mayan long count calendar, the end of this age and the start of the next! The next sunspot cycle is progged to be a very active one, the magnetic pole is on the move and the magnetic field is becoming weaker. So what do you reckon to the chances of a full magnetic Polar reversal during this time of a mega magnetic push from the sun versus a very weak electromagnetic field here on Earth then? Any takers (apart from the Mayans!).

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
.......the end of this age and the start of the next!

Any takers (apart from the Mayans!).

Don't say that - you'll have Daniel on here saying that he told you so! :lol: Ice Age Next! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Don't say that - you'll have Daniel on here saying that he told you so! :( Ice Age Next! :D

:D Some earlier thread went into the possible mechanisms involved in magnetic reversals here on earth but I'd never contemplated that the sun could also thow its polarity around as I think is being suggested (or am I bum uppers on it all?)

• 1 month later...
Posted

Furthermore to the backward sunspots of recent, a sure sign that the minimum is ending (or the new cycle is beginning) is the fact that the SFI (solar flux index) has not dropped below 70 for months now :)