Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather stations

Posted

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a Weather Station. Not looking to spend more than £500, what do the Team/Members recommend ??

Also Supplier links would be useful.

Cheers ;)

Posted

I'll shift this into the weather equipment area where it will get more response, but the simple answer is, if you can afford it, get a Vantage Pro 2 from Davis.

Posted

well you have more money to spend than i did, i went with the lacrosse ws2300, apart from replacing the cable from the windy thing to the main sensor, it seems to do very well considering the type of weather we get up here..... will be two years on 7th january. (oh and free replacement rain guage when the reed valve went).

i got mine from the weather shop here

Posted

In terms of suppliers, Alistair Barron at The UK Weather Shop (Weatherfront) is very helpful with any question you may have, and the service is excellent.

I can also recommend Tim West at Meteorologica.

:o

Can't offer any other advice as I can't afford a weather station myself so have to make do with just a simple remote sensor thermometer :o

Posted

Hi didnt want to open a new thread so thought i would steal this one! :lol:

I am thinking of getting the lacrosse ws3600 just wanted to know if anyone else has one of these and wheather they are any good..........

Posted
Hi didnt want to open a new thread so thought i would steal this one! ;)

I am thinking of getting the lacrosse ws3600 just wanted to know if anyone else has one of these and wheather they are any good..........

In terms of performance, this is going to be pretty much the same as the ws2300, but with a touch-screen for an extra thirty quid or so. For a similar price you could get Oregon Scientific's new(ish) 'hobby 100', or whatever it's called; It is PC compatible & can take several remote sensors.

:)P

Posted
In terms of performance, this is going to be pretty much the same as the ws2300, but with a touch-screen for an extra thirty quid or so. For a similar price you could get Oregon Scientific's new(ish) 'hobby 100', or whatever it's called; It is PC compatible & can take several remote sensors.

cheers for your swift reply i was after a station that gives me dew point as the ws3600, does the hobby?

Posted
cheers for your swift reply i was after a station that gives me dew point as the ws3600, does the hobby?

Check it out here: http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/or...fic_cw_sub.html

if you use the 'shop'/ 'electronic'/'complete weather stations' drop downs, you can look at your main options.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have a WMR928NX; the Oregon Scientific is probably the second-best weather station you can get after the Davis, and is also cheaper, at around £300 to £400. It's reasonably accurate and is widely used by people on Weather Underground sites, though for the thermometer you really need it to be in some kind of screen, as some of the inflated temperatures on individual stations testify.

It depends on how much money you have though- if you have £600 to spare you may as well get the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

Less than that, and you're looking at cheaper stations, although even so, some stations offer temperature, humidity and pressure sensors for around £50.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Jeez! Didn't know these pro weather stations were so expensive.

Just been looking around the www for a weather station, something cheap with an anemometer.

Guess i better take up busking in my spare time.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
Hi didnt want to open a new thread so thought i would steal this one! :doh:

Evening SLINKY

Im using the La crosse 3600 , and have been for the last 3 to 4 months now, so far touch wood , im quite happy ,

nigel

Posted

Think am gonna resort to the Blue Peter way of doing things.

An empty loo roll and some blu-tac. Quite how i'll get an anemometer, barometric readings, temps, humidity et al is another thing :doh:

• 2 months later...
Posted

I'm looking at this la crosse WS2300 (2nd down) http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/la...ogy_ws_sub.html

I can't really afford or should i say back up why i should spend anymore and it seems alright, could anyone give me a second opinion on this WS2300.

Thanks, DB.

Posted

The only bad thing I've heard about these is that they don't report the wind back to the main station too often so you can end up missing gusts and underestimating windspeeds. Aside from that, and for the price I think everything else I've ever heard is positive.

Posted

Uhmmm i just want something good and reliable even if there is just an outside temp sensor and i hope it reads dew points.

Thanks, DB.