Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snowboarding/skiing in Sweden

Paul

Posted

What level are you?

Are - best all round skiing probably in Sweden. Couldn't tell you much about the modern resort, the last time I went was in the early eighties. When I went the main bubble lift went slower than a tortoise, took about 40 mins, hope if you go there it's faster now.

Bjorklidens offers excellent intermediate skiing, I went there in 1978 so couldn't comment about what it's like now but as far I know it's still highly regarded. Verbier town in Switzerland has changed immeasurably since I first went there in 1979, so I wish I could tell you what the accommodation, apres-ski and eateries are like in Are and Bjork. in 2006 but I can't.

When I think of Swedish resorts another one is Salen, I've never been there so can't comment, well regarded though. The one to do before you die though is Zermatt in Switzerland, the cream of ski resorts, bloody expensive though.

One thing to watch, though. If you're going around New Year time, two things actually: higher school holiday prices to beware, also the latitude of Sweden makes the skiing day very short, around 2pm if memory serves. But to conclude, I don't think you could go too far wrong with Are whatever your ability.

Edited by Nick H

Posted

Cheers Nick, just spotted this reply - usually boarding blues and blacks (canada that is - no idea what these correspond to in europe). Am probably going to be heading for Are, won't be going in the new year though - not worth paying the extra..