Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

River Severn Floods

kar999

Posted
That's where my mate lives <_< Coleham Head.

River didn't seem to be up over the road there (yet)- I think they were just putting them up in case- a couple of months ago they closed it there overnight to practise putting up the barriers; seems fortunate they did!

One other place it seemed very high was where you come down from Heathgates island towards Monkmoor/Crowmere Road where it was up over the fields (by the golf driving range) and seemed rather close to the houses that back onto them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I think that was yesterday:

Emergency services were called out to search the water for two men at around 1.30pm following a call from the member of public, but did not find them yesterday.

Posted
http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2006/12/you-idiots/

That Explains the Serch boat on the river fom before i guess

what a couple of Prats!!!!!

unbelievable!! Levels are rising-have got two pics from the Frankwell webcam to compare-can see less grass now...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

This current spate of wet and windy is testing some of the new/improved flood defence schemes across the country. Be the threat from torrential downpours (flash floods) or longer term build ups raising river levels in their lower reaches (Severn/Ouse etc.) Considering rainfall amounts recently most of the schemes seem to work!

Posted

Taken Late this afternoon, sorry about the Blur but forgot tripod.

Bewdley Town Bridge area

post-1090-1165686837_thumb.jpg

post-1090-1165686806_thumb.jpg

Back road between Bewdley and Stourport on Severn

post-1090-1165686924_thumb.jpg

Stourport on Severn car park and play area

post-1090-1165687005_thumb.jpg

post-1090-1165687064_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pickles

Posted

tks for that, fortunately it looks as if the main flood defences are coping. How high can the barrier be raised, do you know?

John

Posted

About 10 ft I think wich should be ample, Stourport has no flood defence and the main flooding only started this afternoon apparently and I don't think the level has peaked yet, going back tomorrow in daylight to get some more pics.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Great Photos Pickles, thanks.

Some more here from the local press.....

I've supped may a pint in The Boat at Jackfield but I think I'd need a boat to get to it this weekend!

http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2006/12/la...flood-photos/1/

http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2006/12/sa...y-flood-photos/

Edited by kar999

• 1 month later...
Posted

I have just found this forum. Very interesting - I'm adding it to my favourites.

I am the Webmaster at Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council.

We have a couple of webcams showing the River Severn, currently in flood, one looking out of our offices and the other looking at the Welsh Bridge, good views of the flooding and barriers.

Frankwell Quay

Welsh Bridge

Also Bridgnorth District Council (downstream from us) have a webcam

Bridgnorth webcam

Regarding some of the above comments/questions about Shrewsbury:

- I have never heard of Welsh Bridge being closed for reasons of its own strength, it has been closed to traffic in the past when Frankwell used to flood (before the barriers were built)

- if the water rises to about 4.6 metres, Smithfield Road, right next to the Welsh Bridge, might flood - (see Frankwell webcam) its currently half a metre or so below this level, but the predicted peak (4.45m this evening) will bring it very close, the water comes up the drains before the river overflows its banks.

- the top of the Frankwell barriers corresponds approximately to a flood level of 5.6 metres. the highest flood in recent years was in 2000, before the barriers were built, when 5.25 metres was reached.

- the highest flood historically was in 1795, the level is not precisely known but it was about 5.7 metres.

- i have a few pictures of the 2004 flooding on the website, i will add some of this years pics shortly.

Edited by Andrew Bennett

Posted

Welcome to the Forum Andrew. :)

Posted

yes welcome Andrew and thanks for those links.

We ry our best as amateurs on here to give warning of possible rivers flooding due to rainfall in the areas the major rivers rise in. What we are unable to do I'm afraid is to be river specific usually at any rate.

By all means log on to the site and check if we have any Alerts/Watches out.

regards

John

ps

I'm sure if the money was right(!) the founder of Net Weather, Paul, would be happy to discuss if we could give you a personal service. This is said with my senior forecaster hat on.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum.

I've noticed the river realy come up over the last 2 days, to be honest it never really went down very far from December's floods despite the dry Christmas- it wasn't going to take very much to flood again.

It's getting close to Smithfield Road, Berwick Road (the road that comes off Coton Hill past the showground) has been closed, also it's right up over the fields at Montford Bridge and the Perry near Leaton is bursting its banks (backing up because it can't join the Severn?).