Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Variable weather

Posted

The last few weeks have, in a nut shell, been disastrous for winter sports and winter fans like myself in Norway. The media have been in a frenzy over the mild winter weather and the ensembles speak for themselves. From having 40cm of lying snow at the back end of October and with -19c being registered early in November, temperatures have risen much above the norm for this time of year. We are currently 11c over normal for this month. Autumn was the mildest on record and December is on course to being a new record as well... perhaps smashing the existing record into oblivion. The warmest mean was in 1991 with -3.6c, some 5c above normal. Atm, we are 11c above.

Anyway, things are set to improve from now on with snow already falling again. The potential exists for some heavy falls through Friday and the weekend but there are already black clouds on the horizon regarding the middle of next week. IF things do turn milder with a SW'ly flow in the run up to Xmas, then I am pretty confident that this December will indeed end as the mildest ever recorded. And if it's bad here, spare a thought for Oslo. Potentially, and I emphasis that word, Oslo could be quite 'tropical' with a fohn wind from the middle of the week. 850s are progged at nearly 8c and whilst we speak of temperature inversions, this would not be the case in the SE. Flowers have in fact come out down there and it is also very rare for Oslo not to have any snow around Xmas.

But for now the focus is on a good few days in Lesjaskog. It's snowing now and things should hopefully pan out to deliver some heavy falls. I will worry about the run up to Xmas in a few days time :(

Edited by Nordic Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

If you mention this kind of thing in the UK you'll end up with a brigade (if not more) of people assuring you it's normal/happened before/of no consequence/they'll be beggarded if they'll pay for it! LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
You live in Hebden though wolf so your expected to think like that. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, yeah ,well ,there is that......... :whistling: