Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sweden Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

My mate lives in Gothenburg(SW Sweden), so far they have had as much snow as us :) which is very rare and only 1 or 2 frosts so far this winter,it is very big news in Sweden at the moment ,if ever we needed proof that global warming is upon us then this proves it....My son and i are flying over there in Feb for a weeks ski-ing in mid Sweden (Klovsjo 63°N), they have about 50cm of Snow currently (or so i'm told), but i notice a lot of SW winds over the next couple of weeks, hopefully it will get colder by Feb (although the BBC forecast predicts -21c in Sundsvall on friday :) which isn't that much further north), has anyone ever been up there, whats it like?, i've been to Sweden 20 odd times but never that far North).

Hej då

Ian :lol:

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Hej Spurry,

I went skiing in Vemdalen about 10 years ago. It was my first ski holiday so I didn't really know what to expect. Actually, I'm not sure how far north Vemdalen is compared to Klovsjo, but it seemed to take forever being driven up there from Stockholm.

I remember the pistes being very icy and as a beginner I didn't like this, but then the temperature warmed slightly and I could suddenly feel how to turn and carve the snow rather than "chattering" along.

Scenery is beautiful from the top, lots of animal tracks to see in the mornings and I also saw reindeer and elk in the wild.

Posted
Hej Spurry,

I went skiing in Vemdalen about 10 years ago. It was my first ski holiday so I didn't really know what to expect. Actually, I'm not sure how far north Vemdalen is compared to Klovsjo, but it seemed to take forever being driven up there from Stockholm.

I remember the pistes being very icy and as a beginner I didn't like this, but then the temperature warmed slightly and I could suddenly feel how to turn and carve the snow rather than "chattering" along.

Scenery is beautiful from the top, lots of animal tracks to see in the mornings and I also saw reindeer and elk in the wild.

Vemdalen,Klovsjo and Bjornrike are all in the same area, we will be driving up from Gothenburg(650kms) and spending 4 or 5 days there before travelling back down to Gothenburg then flying home.Your description sounds brilliant , i have seen some great photo's on the net and there are a few webcams in the area. I love sweden but normally i only go over in the summer , although i once went skiing in Hovjallet which is not as far north i don't think

Ian

Posted

Still exceptionally mild and wet i southern parts of Sweden , but mid to north Latitudes are getting ever increasing amounts of snow, which can only bode well for my trip in February :lol:

Currently between 35-45 cm of lying snow in Vemdalen/Klovsjo(but there is some rain and + temps predicted before more snow at the weekend)

Edited by Spurry

Posted

There's been a lot more snow today , and the forecast looks good :D

SNÖDJUP. Vemdalsskalets Högfjällshotell 710 m.ö.t

60cm natursnö i terräng(Base/Ground)

60 cm i nedfarter (Higher slopes.i think)

15 cm nysnö senaste 24h (New snow in last 24 hrs)

Edited by Spurry

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
There's been a lot more snow today , and the forecast looks good :)

SNÖDJUP. Vemdalsskalets Högfjällshotell 710 m.ö.t

60cm natursnö i terräng(Base/Ground)

60 cm i nedfarter (Higher slopes.i think)

15 cm nysnö senaste 24h (New snow in last 24 hrs)

1 week to go :)

85 cm natursnö i terräng

65 cm i nedfarter

2 cm nysnö senaste 24h

Posted

It looks like the Scandi High is gonna stay put :D , which is great for keeping it very cold , but i don't think i'm gonna see any falling snow whilst i'm there , but i'm sure i can cope with the 90 cm that's already lying. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well i'm back , i needn't have worried really,the highest temp we saw was -2c and the lowest -18c, the snow was knee deep with drifts a lot higher , i'll try and enclose a few Photo's , if they don't work then accept my apologies...We did a bit of skiing which was fun , but the best bit was seeing my son waist deep in the snow , he had never really seen deep snow before..we also walked across a frozen lake (the ice was 1mtr deep) and it did snow on 2 of the days we were there. :cold: ....Roll on next year i can't wait :cold::yahoo:

post-2070-1171815547_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171815616_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171815747_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171816208_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171816291_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171816439_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171816665_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spurry

Posted
Nice photos

Most of my Photo's have people on , so i tried to keep them to a minimum , Thanks

Ian

Posted

Here's a few more...ahhhhh great memories

post-2070-1171831346_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171831431_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171831550_thumb.jpg

post-2070-1171831715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spurry

Posted

There has been over 24hrs of continuos snow in the Gothenburg region of Sweden with more to come....oh i wish i was there. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Great captures. I shall have to go and witness proper snowfall in a wonderful place like that one day.

Edited by Supercell

Posted
Great captures. I shall have to go and witness proper snowfall in a wonderful place like that one day.

I would definatly recommend central to northern Sweden from December thru to April if you want to see really deep snow , before and after can be a bit touch and go unless your really lucky or really north...S - SW Sweden( Gothenburg area) can see a lot of snow between Nov and April but it's not really guaranteed, this week is great in the W to SW of Sweden but last week was snow free.