Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hail the size of tennis balls!

Posted

http://spotted.blufftontoday.com/pages/gal...23&offset=0

The airplane was a Boeing 727-200 jet flown by Capital Cargo International Airlines (aircraft registration N708A). It took off from Calgary, Canada, and was enroute to Minneapolis the night of August 10, 2006, when it encountered large hail as it climbed from 30,000 feet to 35,000 feet in a thunderstorm over Alberta. An upper-level disturbance, in concert with a warm, moist air mass, combined to produce a large area of severe thunderstorms, including the one that damaged the unfortunate airplane. The hail damaged the airplane's windshield, nose cone, cowling on the two engines, leading edge of the right wing, lenses, and right side lights. An in-flight emergency was declared, and the the aircraft returned safely to Calgary International Airport. The landing was routine, as the pilot's windshield was undamaged and the weather was clear in Calgary.

Posted

The landing was routine, as the pilot's windshield

I was about to post that it was fortunate that the captains window, they always sit on the left, was undamaged.

A long time since I have seen damage that bad.

John

Posted

I don't know if anyone read the reply from a viewer, but it made me chuckle: (seems he was the pilot or some kind of crew)

Dear Pilotguy71, The aircraft was not a BAX aircraft. It was not flight 705BX. It was not in cruise flight. It was not at 35,000 feet. There was no way to measure the size of the hail much less compare it to sporting equipment. Only half of the landing lights were destroyed. Not only did we not make a "Blind" emergency landing we don't know what a one is. The Flight Engineer and I did not quit. And the aircraft was not a total loss. Pretty much the only thing you got right is that it was over Alberta, Canada. Please do some research next time.

Posted

like that, just shows what supposedly 'quoting' can lead to?