Month ahead

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/rep...MENU=monthahead

An unsettled start but turning wintry at the end of January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Month ahead

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/rep...MENU=monthahead

An unsettled start but turning wintry at the end of January

hope simon is right that seems like a decent january, im a fan of simon keeling he is often right on tv weather at 7pm, but he may not be if it points to cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this boxing day weatheronline update really stinks cant believe it, wonder what model they look at lol, i was expecting the weatheronline week ahead to say something on the lines of becoming colder and settled with frost and fog especially for england and wales, with high pressure

Posted

Extra - January 09, 2008 Winter next week?Scottish Ski-ing goodIssued: 1800hrs Wednesday 9th January 2008

A wintry look to conditions and I don't rule out the risk of snow next week

As I sit here looking at the webcams showing lots of snow over the Scottish hills and mountains, it's good to think that a welcome boost to the ski-ing industry up there is in the offing. What a difference a winter makes.

Several forecasters have now commented to me that 'were back in an old fashioned winter', and indeed that's the way we seem to be. Captain Bob was talking to me about this last summer, saying that he felt we were about to witness a major change in patterns. We got chatting and looked through a few charts, and indeed that change seemed to be on the horizon. In fact, I wrote about it at Weatheronline, remember? And those old-type winters certainly had snow. Guess what? I think we could all be seeing some of the white stuff in the next 7 to 10 days.

Yes, I know that for those of you in the north of England, Northern Ireland and Scotland there has already been some significant falls, but for us southern weaklings, it's been cold, but we've stayed on the milder side of things for now.

Driving home from a meeting in Cardiff last night, a squall line passed through,. The car temperature readout showed a fall from 9C to 1C in 20 minutes, the rain turned to snow and hey presto, winter had returned. It shows how much cold air there is behind each of these systems t=coming through.

The latest model runs continue to look cold. I reckon that with the jet stream so far south, and edging further south, each of the systems that comes through will knock an average 1C off the temperature. It won't take many of them before rain turns even more readily to snow and we start to see winter proper.

First heads-up for one of these systems I think will be next Tuesday or Wednesday. The GFS is hinting at it, and the UKMO too. I think that we could see some centimetres falling, perhaps on the ground for a day or two, before further systems approach from the Atlantic to warm things up.

If it's snow you're after, I think your wish might just come true soon...

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?MENU=extra