Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

13th February 1998: 19.7C

Weather-history

Posted

Mid February 1998 saw an exceptional mild spell as tropical maritime air flooded most parts of the UK.

Rrea00119980213.gif

Here are some remarkable maxima that was recorded on the 13th of that month.

Worcester: 19.7C

Aberdeen: 15.8C

Bedford: 17C

Belfast: 14.9C

Birmingham Airport: 16C

Cardiff Airport: 14C

Coventry Airport: 16C

Glasgow Airport: 14.3C

Gravesend-Broadness: 19C

Hawarden: 17.3C

Liverpool Airport: 16C

London Weather Centre: 19.1C

London Gatwick: 17C

London Heathrow: 18.6C

Manchester Airport: 16.5C

Northolt: 18.7C

Nottingham: 17C

Pershore: 16.9C

Rhyl: 14.5C

The CET for 10th-16th February 1998: 10.4C

By contrast the CET for 10th-16th April 1998: 3.9C

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Talking of mild spells in February. I had a bad dream the other night. I dreamed that when the recent cold spell ended - a record max of 20.5C/69F was forcasted for Southampton on the 9th of February!

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember February 1998 well. In Cleadon we'd had a spell of mild dull weather from the 8th to 12th, with maxima of 12-14C, and minima of 8-10C, but the 13th was a sunny day, and the temperature rose to 16.6C- massively above anything I've recorded in any other February. I remember my dad saying "This is un-naturally warm for February!" Not everywhere experienced the exceptionally mild and sunny weather though; I remember reports of exceptional rainfall from the western Highlands.

I recall having a dream around mid-February 1998 that there would be attempts at a breakdown to the mild weather from the NW on the 23rd-26th, but that these would fail and would merely turn it cloudier in the southeast. Then, cold north-westerly winds and wintry showers would set in on the 27th/28th. One of those dreams where when it came to the end of the month, and snow showers were falling on a NW'ly airflow, I was left thinking "I dreamt that this would happen..."

Whenever I think February 1998, the phrase "pints of mild" always comes into my head- probably because an old member of the BBC boards called AnotherPintOfMild kept referring to the month.

Posted

What am I talking about, Greenwich recorded 19.7C not Worcester. I think it was Barbourne near Worcester recorded 19.6C :)

I'm not 100% sure if there is some dispute over those figures.

Tivington recorded 19.1C on Valentine's Day 1998

Edited by Mr_Data