Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Certainly makes you think. I prefer to photograph storms from inside a car. :unknw:

Regards,

Russ

Posted

Hmmm, could have got closer! But a good picture! I've had a lightning bolt come down near me...about 50m from where I was. Was quite hair raising to say the least!

Posted

:unknw: -->

QUOTE(Paul B @ 3 Mar 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, could have got closer! But a good picture! I've had a lightning bolt come down near me...about 50m from where I was. Was quite hair raising to say the least!

did u have your camera! :unknw:

Posted

:) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ 3 Mar 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm, could have got closer! But a good picture! I've had a lightning bolt come down near me...about 50m from where I was. Was quite hair raising to say the least!

Edited by Blackie

Posted

Not sure but have seen that before, its is a fake!!!

I think?

Posted
:) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul B @ 3 Mar 2007, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmmm, could have got closer! But a good picture! I've had a lightning bolt come down near me...about 50m from where I was. Was quite hair raising to say the least!

Me too. Twice actually.

I was trying to photograph the lightning with a camera on a tripod on each occasion. Once was on the top of a hotel in New Orleans, with a supercell slowly rotating directly above. It didn't spawn any tornadoes but it produced lots of lightning. I went out on the roof to get some shots and all of a sudden the air was thick with electricity and a bolt struck the roof of the hotel next door! Needless to say I scarpered inside and carried on taking pictures through the rain-streaked windows. Not as effective, but a darn sight safer! :) I did actually catch a bolt, but it was on film not digital and I have misplaced it for the moment.

The other time was on safari in the Serengeti, in Tanzania, with my wife. I remember that night vividly as there were storms everywhere. We watched them get closer from round the campfire then took refuge in our tent. I set the tripod up under the overhang and tried to get some shots of lightning, but it was hard as it never seemed to be in the same place. Then the sky lit up, there was a bang very close by and I got thrown backwards onto the ground. I didn't quite manage to get the bolt on film, sadly. We went out the next morning and found it had struck a tree just 50m from the tent!

I also found out later that day that my father had died during the night. I'm not superstitious and have never believed in spirits, but I must admit I do wonder sometimes whether that was a sign from nature. I also went on a safari the next morning (before my brother managed to get a message to me) and took a shot of lion cubs which later won an award for me. I use it as part of my logo now. And every time I look at it, it reminds me of my dad. He was a far better photographer than I will ever be, and I'd like to think that his spirit was maybe guiding me then...

Bliney mate, you been around :) further than Southend Airport, see why you threw the anorak away... :D having read your post I ve just put my on for comfort sake... :hi: