Cold?
IGNORED

Student research Question

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Right a Student at the University is doing a Thesis on Sheffield weather. Of course he found my website and asked a few questions. Some of them very good. This one has me slightly stumped. Not really sure how to answer it. Any ideas???

) According to the average minimum and maximum temperatures 1955-2007 (http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/MONTHLYAIRMAXAVERAGE.htm), minimum average temperatures in all four seasons seem to have increased by less than 2C from 1955 to 2006. However, maximum temperatures seem to have increased by around 3C during the same period. While minimum temperatures have remained steady, maximum temperatures have been going up. Why did it happen?

Posted
Right a Student at the University is doing a Thesis on Sheffield weather. Of course he found my website and asked a few questions. Some of them very good. This one has me slightly stumped. Not really sure how to answer it. Any ideas???

) According to the average minimum and maximum temperatures 1955-2007 (http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/MONTHLYAIRMAXAVERAGE.htm), minimum average temperatures in all four seasons seem to have increased by less than 2C from 1955 to 2006. However, maximum temperatures seem to have increased by around 3C during the same period. While minimum temperatures have remained steady, maximum temperatures have been going up. Why did it happen?

Well, I've not done the calculations so I don't know what was done. It's not clear in what way the student measured it to have warmed by 3C? Wrt a 30 average he/she calculated? 10 year average? Year on year? How?

Then I find myself think 'clean air act'. Some local effect?

Edited by Devonian