Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Record early flowering dates

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've kept records of the flowering and leafing dates of a variety of plants for the last 28 years or so and the current season is providing more than just meteorological records.

A Lilac bush growing at 300m opened the first flowers yesterday, 17 days ahead of the average date and 6 days earlier than the previous earliest date in 2002 and 2003.

A large and mature Clematis Montana reached full flower today, 24 days ahead of the average date and 11 days ahead of the previous earliest date in 1990.

Contrast this with 1986 when the Lilac didn't open the first flowers until June 6th and the Clematis Montana reached full flower on June 4th.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

That's quite incredible TM and more than a little worrying!

I think the best that we can hope for in terms of this unprecedented period of above average temperatures is that it is a monumental freak occurrence.

I'm sure that (relatively) normal service will be resumed soon enough!

Posted

yet another indicator that this year is very mild, so far, and nothing to show it is going to change a lot very soon either.

Posted

Outside strawberry plants in the garden are flowering now- fruiting only amonth away? As a child in the sixties if we got strawberries in the 1st week of July at the end of the summer term we thought we were doing well. I realise modern varities may have some effect on earliness but it is amazing all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Oak flowered 3+ weeks before Ash here this year, most Ash is still budded up tight. I have never seen such a gap and besides Ash is nearly always before Oak in these parts.

Russ

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Yes, my Clematis Montana has been in full bloom for nearly a week now, normally mid May flowering here. Hawthorn is now in full bloom, around 2 - 3 weeks early.

All the trees around here have been in full leaf for almost 2 weeks.

Paul

Edited by Paul Carfoot

Posted

have not many strawberries left now but a couple I still have now have flowers on, much earlier than I ever remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Oak flowered 3+ weeks before Ash here this year, most Ash is still budded up tight. I have never seen such a gap and besides Ash is nearly always before Oak in these parts.

Russ

That's usually the case here too Russ, the ash is always out before the oak. But not this year! Oak started flowering at the end of march here (yes you did read that correctly) and was in full leaf by the early days of April. However, most Ash here at the moment are still totally bald and I have yet to see one in full leaf yet.

Another thing interesting to note is the beech has come out a week or two earlier than normal this year. Many beeches have been in full leaf fo a week or so here and a species at the opposite side of my road usually leafs up quite late, at the beginning of the second week in May usually. It is in full leaf now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Are you lot sure that Ash is out before the Oak usually? Never in my experience, Ash is always the last, whichever part of the country.

Posted
Ash is normally into June before its leaves are out here...way after Oak.

Same here ash is always the last tree to leaf here,but 1 year recently the oak came out very close to the ash, never known it come out behind the ash yet mind,but this year I havn`t seen the oak out as early as this year not as I remember,the ash is way behind though.

And I went to lower ground today and the hawthorn is flowering,and I even noticed a laburnum tree in blossum already,our laburnum is only just come into leaf.

But our horse chestnut is coming into blossum, as it came into leaf early like it use to years ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The average date for the Ash buds breaking is May 25th here and some of the older trees are into the first week in June. I can't see it being that late this year. The earliest date is May 13th in 2006 and the latest is June 7th in 1986.

T.M

Posted

Impressive stuff TM, and proof, if any were needed, of the huge value afforded by observations using other than scientific instruments in building up a clear picture of the wax and wane of the climate.

My Ash stands alone, naked, in a stand of trees including several sycamore and a beech (and something dying that I've never bothered to identify), all of which are now draped in emerald green.

Posted

Interesting to note the old saying 'Ash before oak and we will have a soak, Oak before Ash and we will have a splash' is coming true!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Are you lot sure that Ash is out before the Oak usually? Never in my experience, Ash is always the last, whichever part of the country.

Oops, sorry, yes you are right, I got muddled. Still, it's unusual to have an Oak flowering in late March. The Ash's really stand out at the moment as everything else is in leaf.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Morning all,

thought i would post a picture of my Clematis which as given a beautiful display this year. I took this a few moments ago.

post-1046-1177925082_thumb.jpg

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

This 'ash/oak' thing. I'd just been telling Mrs how far on our Oaks are whilst the Ash is still bare. Feel sorry for you guys that are in for a soak as we look to be in for a splaDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of me!.

Posted
Morning all,

thought i would post a picture of my Clematis which as given a beautiful display this year. I took this a few moments ago.

Paul

Same here it is absolutely gorgeous!

Posted

Spring in my garden B)

post-6280-1177964218_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964243_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964254_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964268_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964277_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964290_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964302_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964315_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964329_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964349_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964363_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964376_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964394_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964406_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964421_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964433_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964445_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964456_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964469_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964479_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964502_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964511_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964521_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964531_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964542_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964551_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964575_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964585_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964614_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1177964623_thumb.jpg

Posted

some lovely photgraphs here folks, thanks, just goes to show what a mild winter does for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Blimey jethro, do you live on a country estate?

That's a lot of flowers! Very nice they are too!

I don't have much to add as I'm not particularly green fingered, but my strawberries are flowering nicely and my winter jasmine has just gone berserk since the start of April!

Posted
Blimey jethro, do you live on a country estate?

That's a lot of flowers! Very nice they are too!

I don't have much to add as I'm not particularly green fingered, but my strawberries are flowering nicely and my winter jasmine has just gone berserk since the start of April!

No, far from it, just an old house, luckily with a larger than average garden. I think I probably put this in the wrong thread, they're not flowering early, just enjoyed the mild South Western winter.

Thanks for the kind comments

Posted

Just my tu'ppence worth:

The horse chestnut trees have been in blossom for the last two weeks across Warwickshire (and very nice they are too!).

The bluebells have been out now for a fortnight too across the same area.

Very nice but such early flowering leaves me with a deep sense of unease.

Regards,

Mike.

P.S. Lovely flowers Jethro. I wish I had your green fingers!

Edited by Winston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well all I can say is that you are all lucky having such nice gardens. All we have is Buddleia, Hydrangea, a Holly, 2 ice plants and Kerria Japonica. I haven't noticed anything flowering earlier really, but there is a tree has lots of buds on already which I think is earlier than usual, I don't know what kind it is but it does attract dozens of bees and wasps when in full flower and berries that attract all kinds of birds in the Autumn.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Ash is normally into June before its leaves are out here...way after Oak.

This is normal for the North i imagine, i am only experienced with the trees around here though and up until 3 or 4 years ago it was always ash before oak, usually by just a few days, never such a gap and if oak was in front it was barely.

I have not written anything down...I just noticed over the years, like you do when you love your job, you get an eye for the detail etc'.

Russ