Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Lesjaskog: Summer to winter

Posted

It's getting to the time of the year that I begin to switch into winter mode and start my weather watching once more :doh:

16-20c has been reported in the last few days but a big change is about to take place as temperatures substantially fall as winds pull into the NW. Lesjaskog will see highs of around 5c early next week with rain showers, though I'd say there is a 70% risk of sleet showers. Snow will fall just 100 or 200m above Lesjaskog and so the surrounding mountains will be turning white. And all this happening in August...

Snow is very normal in September. 8 from my 9 Septembers have seen snowfall/settling snow. It never lasts at village level though - we have to wait until October for that. But September 15th 2 years ago for example saw 2 inches lying but I haven't seen snowfall in August. Next week is unlikely to see snow at village level (620m) but it will be a close run thing.

Many snow reports lie ahead this coming winter with some added features on my site as well. A time-lapse video and later, live streaming of the snow events. Snow videos around Norway can be seen (courtesy of YouTube) but I will be adding home-made snow videos myself at around xmas time.

This will also be my last winter in lesjaskog as I move to nearby Bjorli next spring. Bjorli is just 10km further W and this is where the actual ski slopes are. My house is being built now and will be just 100m from the ski lift :):doh: Bjorli gets even more snow than Lesjaskog and so my webcam will capture some intensely heavy snowfall once I move.

Here is to a scandi trough dominated winter :):doh:

Posted

Nice one it's great that we have you on here, even better that if we ever get that desperate Norway is just over the North Sea :doh:

Posted

okay Mike where is the invite to your house warming and the skiing afterwards !!

Posted

Still got up to 12.8c today but things are cooling down nicely.

Anyone interested in a visit over here should let me know and I could possibly sort out a discount at one of the hotels.

P.S This year will see our first ice hotel at Bjorli. Should be up and ready from November and will be a yearly thing. Mind you, it will cost you £240 a night!!

Posted

Just been sleeting here in Lesjaskog and my first ever wet snowflakes seen in August.

http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Oppland/Lesja/Lesjaskog/

The above link shows 'sludd' which means sleet and was my official observation just sent to the Norwegian met.

Currently 3.6c at 11am local time. Snowing a little higher up, though showery in nature - as forecast on my site of course ;)

Edited by Nordic Snowman

Posted

Well Nordic it's quite overcast here and it looks threatening outside for some showers of Rain....We will have to wait many months for snow possibly.

What is this hotel you talk of?

Posted
Well Nordic it's quite overcast here and it looks threatening outside for some showers of Rain....We will have to wait many months for snow possibly.

What is this hotel you talk of?

The Bjorli Apartment Hotel.

Best way is to go to my site and read the 'About' page. You can then check out other places to stay.

http://www.nordgudbrandsdalweather.com/about.html

Edited by Nordic Snowman

Posted

its a superb site you have Mike and all of us I would imagine are green with envy.

The problem is getting to the area, cost that is.

Posted
its a superb site you have Mike and all of us I would imagine are green with envy.

The problem is getting to the area, cost that is.

Thanks John. But your site has much more weather stats and graphs etc and is full of info - great!

The cost is an issue and getting here is difficult; ask my folks!

Arriving at Oslo, Gardermoen, you have to wait about 3 or 4 hrs before catching a 4.5 hr train ride to Dombås. You then have to catch another train from there to Bjorli which is just another 45 minutes further on. Prices can vary but the trains are not very expensive really; sometimes you can get a special price of £25 return! But sometimes (peak season) it can cost £100.

I arrived here by boat (bringing the car initially) which meant driving 13hrs across the central mountains. A great journey and with snow during the summer. But you can't do that during the winter of course ;)

Posted

thanks for the compliment Mike.

As to cost, yes its an issue unfortunately.

For instance in January I am due to fly(5 mins from here) Doncaster to Geneva and back, total cost is £106.48, the air fare being just £65.98.

A few weeks ago I did Doncaster-Pisa for £39.75 total cost return.

If the air fares were cheaper I could put up with the time to travel and the cost of drinks, but never mind I'll make do in the meantime in drooling over the weather you will very likely have for the next 5-6 months!

Hope all goes well with the move.

What about your official observer status, will you be doing weather reports at your new home

regards

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I see your point when you compare prices John! Norway is also very expensive just to be in - let alone just getting here. It's okay for me because I am working/living here but this is why Norway doesn't really attract masses of tourism - the cost is simply too high.

I wanted to quit the observing due to being tied down too much and especially the 1am/2am report because my energy levels are dropping as I get closer to 37!! :( With a 4 year old, I just always feel tired due to lack of sleep. But sadly, I just can't quit that job when I move because I still need the money. It's 99% certain that I will be allowed to move the station and so it looks as though I will have to continue with the lack of sleep for at least another year or two until my business grows further. And the hardest part is fitting everything in as the business grows because trying to do both means lots of running around, stress and clock-watching ... until I reach that cut-off point where I can jack the weather observations in.

But I will manage to get all my skiing in :)

Edited by Nordic Snowman

Posted

Low clouds may obscure the view and so you will need to keep checking, but you can just about see a sprinkling of wet snow on the Bjorli slopes.

http://www.nordgudbrandsdalweather.com/wdl/webcams.html

I think the morning will be better to see a dusting of snow... possibly even at village level and more especially through Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Posted
I see your point when you compare prices John! Norway is also very expensive just to be in - let alone just getting here. It's okay for me because I am working/living here but this is why Norway doesn't really attract masses of tourism - the cost is simply too high.

I wanted to quit the observing due to being tied down too much and especially the 1am/2am report because my energy levels are dropping as I get closer to 37!! :( With a 4 year old, I just always feel tired due to lack of sleep. But sadly, I just can't quit that job when I move because I still need the money. It's 99% certain that I will be allowed to move the station and so it looks as though I will have to continue with the lack of sleep for at least another year or two until my business grows further. And the hardest part is fitting everything in as the business grows because trying to do both means lots of running around, stress and clock-watching ... until I reach that cut-off point where I can jack the weather observations in.

But I will manage to get all my skiing in :)

glad to hear you will manage to ski, missing that would be really serious.

I don't envy you with a youngster and a pretty late observation to do. I did enough of those, complete N duties so you are welcome to that part.

Hope the business picks up quickly or you.

Posted

Hi Mike,

Sounds like a wonderful area to live after looking at your website. I would love to relocate to somewhere like Norway, but again money would be the factor preventing me from doing so, unless I could find a well paid job.

Posted
Hi Mike,

Sounds like a wonderful area to live after looking at your website. I would love to relocate to somewhere like Norway, but again money would be the factor preventing me from doing so, unless I could find a well paid job.

go as Mikes' weather observer!

I've told you before mate you have a btter turn of phrase than some TV weather persons, and a pretty fair grasp of meteorology.

Get Mike to offer you a job!

Then I can come over, on all expenses paid of course, to do the necessary checks on you both, sod the Norwegian Met office.

Posted

Paul - Work will be difficult - no getting around that one and esepcially so out here in the sticks. The weather observing alone will not be enough to live on and that will mean 3 other options:-

1. Handy with woodwork? Easy to get into furniture making here. 2 factories offering lots of work.

2. Hotel work - all fields but can be quiet in both autumn and spring.

3. Own business. This area needs some PC experts (for problems/repairs especially). Also web design. And you can never have enough plumbers and electricians... and general builders. Lots of new cabins going up which feeds the trades just mentioned.

Barry - glad you like the time lapse video. Not great quality but it should be better to see when the snowfall starts :D

Edited by Nordic Snowman

Posted
Paul - Work will be difficult - no getting around that one and esepcially so out here in the sticks. The weather observing alone will not be enough to live on and that will mean 3 other options:-

1. Handy with woodwork? Easy to get into furniture making here. 2 factories offering lots of work.

2. Hotel work - all fields but can be quiet in both autumn and spring.

3. Own business. This area needs some PC experts (for problems/repairs especially). Also web design. And you can never have enough plumbers and electricians... and general builders. Lots of new cabins going up which feeds the trades just mentioned.

Barry - glad you like the time lapse video. Not great quality but it should be better to see when the snowfall starts B)

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am no good with woodwork, so that would be a no go. Hotel work or own business could be a possibility, but as you say it would be very difficult to get things going. Plenty to ponder though, thanks. :)

Posted

Here, in Tromso, there's 6° and sunshine with few clouds.

This night min at 1.7°.

I think that norwegian climate is perfect for me.

If only i know how to learn the best situation for rain/snow/showers for my zone on the cards... :huh:

Posted

nice to see your observing set up Mike.

What happens when the snow covers the screen?

Posted
nice to see your observing set up Mike.

What happens when the snow covers the screen?

Morning John,

It isn't a problem as I continually clear the area by maintaining a pathway.

Similar to below:-

070127StationPath.jpg

The garden will otherwise be out of bounds as it builds up:-

070320GardenView.jpg

And then the 'pathways' become like tunnels:-

050201Sidepath.jpg

And the house becomes swamped with snow:-

050201Carfrontdoorarea.jpg

Love it John. The joys of winter ;):)

Posted

so would most of us Mike, well for a couple of weeks but no thanks for several months of it. 1947 and 1963 will do me, I'll just retire to my nostalgia, with my weather reports!