Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The reason I wish for a mild winter

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

100_0799.jpg

This is the reason I want a mild winter.

This is a Washingtonia Robusta (Californian Skyduster palm)

Only hacks temps of about -4 to -6 but I'm lucky that the lowest ever temperature recorded in Wirral is -6.5, which makes some of my previous winter readings of -7 or -9C way off the mark, in which case I'd estimate Heswall's lowest temp to be around -4 to -5?

Anyway this is the reason I want a mild winter (and ill get one in the grand scheme of things I imagine).

So dont take offence cold weather lovers it aint anything personal B)

So good is the climate here on the Wirral, my friend not far from here is raising a Parlour palm outside and it appears to be surviving - despite being from tropical climates.

Below is my Trachycarpus Fortunei (Windmill palm) growing fast - a foot every year. Currently 2 foot at 2 years old!

P1002.jpg

and of course it doesnt end there, there even a roadside Canary Island Date Palm (even though its small - still)

100_0598.jpg

Posted

Well i guess the next time you buy a Palm you get one which withstands lower temperatures, We have them at our house so i could ask my Dad what they are....Otherwise i suggest you stop being so selfish and let the weather do what it wants to B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Well i guess the next time you buy a Palm you get one which withstands lower temperatures, We have them at our house so i could ask my Dad what they are....Otherwise i suggest you stop being so selfish and let the weather do what it wants to :D

:lol: You'll get your snow trust me, I just wont get your snow :doh:;) :lol:

even if I have to personally shovel all 3mm of it and take it to Halifax! ;)

I know the hardy versions, that Trach up there is the hardiest I have it has been known to withstand -18C it could probably survive on the Shetland Islands were it not so windy!

Also have a Med fan palms with hardy down to -10C so its just the washingtonia im concerned about really ;)

Posted

Right thats it i'm changing my profile location! I dont' live in Halifax and i never have done i just work there! :doh:

Posted
Right thats it i'm changing my profile location! I dont' live in Halifax and i never have done i just work there! :lol:

Now that would be disappointing - finding that all your snow was in Halifax and not back home in Mirfield - trust me, Ive has similar gut wrenching moments. The worst two years ago when I went to university in Liverpool to find 1cm of snow, and yet when I got back home it was raining :doh:

Posted

LOL Really gutting mate, when we had the easterly last year it snowed all night here and by the morning it was rain so i drove to work and sure enough it turned by to heavy snow so i went home got my skis and drove up the hills behind me where it was still snowing a bit, great stuff! I'm moving to a new house which is pretty high up in comparison and it's in the Hills more so that will be great :doh:

Posted
Now that would be disappointing - finding that all your snow was in Halifax and not back home in Mirfield - trust me, Ive has similar gut wrenching moments. The worst two years ago when I went to university in Liverpool to find 1cm of snow, and yet when I got back home it was raining :doh:

Yes, well Hope Uni is set on a hill isn't it? When I lived there as a child I frequently walked to Primary school in autumn mists or woke up to a dusting of frost or snow, but where I live now, whilst only being across the city (and of course still across the water from you) gets fog, frost or snow very, very, very rarely.

It's very dull. Your palms would probably love it!

Posted
Yes, well Hope Uni is set on a hill isn't it? When I lived there as a child I frequently walked to Primary school in autumn mists or woke up to a dusting of frost or snow, but where I live now, whilst only being across the city (and of course still across the water from you) gets fog, frost or snow very, very, very rarely.

It's very dull. Your palms would probably love it!

Its on the upslope of a hill, but in a carved frost hollow - its strange climate Childwall has!

Childwall is generally much cold than Heswall at winter, gets more snow and frost than here. Like you say fog is common and can be quite severe, as I remember in my first year I couldnt see 5 metres in front of me!

Your climate is probably rather similar to mine, although I probably record lower temperatures in an easterly but generally higher in a westerly/or northwesterly year round. But you're right the palms wouldnt mind your area.

How close to the coast are you where you live?

Posted
How close to the coast are you where you live?

As the crow flies (or, to be more accurate, the seagull) it's about 600 metres from our house to the coast.

(Although this is a rough estimate using a google map, a SpongeBob SquarePants ruler and some slightly dodgy mental arithmetic.)

Edited by Lady Penelope

Posted

I remember waking up one Christmas time to the sight of the palm trees covered in snow at my parents previous house on Arran. It was before the days of digital photography, so I can't post the picture. Actually, it may have been before the days of colour photography . . .

Posted

I have 2 Washingtonia I have grown form seed. They are now 4 feet tall and have survived every winter outside here since 1998.

Winter '04/'05 nearly finished them off, but they're strong as ever now.

Posted
I have 2 Washingtonia I have grown form seed. They are now 4 feet tall and have survived every winter outside here since 1998.

Winter '04/'05 nearly finished them off, but they're strong as ever now.

Do you have Filifera or Robusta?

Im in two minds whether to leave the young specimin outside in the rain, dont want it to be killed by rot.

Posted

Canary Island Date Palm ...should be ok if well established...admittidately mine is 5 foot..but the point is they can with stand extreme cold once established..also you can throw a fleece on it..it will take some killing...main concern is the size of your palm

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I want a mild winter so I dont have to stand in the freezing blipping cold and snow waiting for a train/bus etc only to find it is cancelled due to bad weather conditions!!!! Blaaaaaaaaa! :lol:

No Angel, cold is goooood. Keeps the bugs at bay, kills off all those viral beasties that give you the sniffles from Oct' to April.

Have you tried fleecy knickers ?? :lol: Cancelled buses - excellent, as excuses go, that doesn't get any better !!