Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Whilst the BBC treat people with contempt with weather forcasts...

The Eagle

Posted

.......I was amazed watching the 6 o'clock news tonight on RTE. Not only were the synoptics (as usual explained perfectly and shown) but also the name of the model they are from actually appears in the right hand corner of the screen now! I was really pleased. Ive never seen it before on any weather forcast. ECMWF is in the corner. They also mention their own model, Hirlam. http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/ . Scroll down to weather forcast. Fair play to Met Eireann I have to say. One up on the bbc again which dont bother showing even synoptics anymore. I have far more respect for these forcasts now then the beebs. They are all pro met presenters too. Ive never seen the name of the model shown on any weather forcast before, not even mentioned. Credit were credit is due. RTE may not have quite the same funds as the BBC but they seem to be more professional with weather forcasts.

Edited by Darkman

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

To be fair, the BBC forecasts are seeing an increased use of synoptic charts - though this I think depends on the forecaster, as I believe it is themselves who produce it. The countryfile forecast usually makes good use of synoptic charts. As for the name the model used, I think most will know that it is the Met Office who produce the data for forecasts, though it seems only the independent channels acknowledge this.

Posted
I think most will know that it is the Met Office who produce the data for forecasts, though it seems only the independent channels acknowledge this.

Er, the BBC forecasts credit the Met Office at the start!

Posted

I saw 2 synoptic in 2 days, must be a record since the graphics was launched and to be fair i have not watched the forecasts alot because there nothing too exciting to report.

To be fair though the BBC are using the charts more i notice and i hope this is a continued trend. Its also depends how long the forecaster gets to forecast because the BBC are taking a while to hand it to the forecaster so not enough time to show Atlantic charts even if they want to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Lack of time allocation is clearly one of the biggest issues facing the current forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
I thought the Met O chose the BBC forecasters on the basis of how many months pregnant they were and how much of the chart their lumps would hide.

:D:D :lol: its like spot the unpregnant lady.

Posted

Lol, no wonder there are so many different and new forecasters now on the BBC, it's so they can cover all the maternity leave occuring.

I agree with TWS though, that the time to do a forecast has shortened over recent years at expense of things like synoptic charts being included.