Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What does this chart mean

kippure

What does this chart mean. How do i read it.

Here A link to where it was posted and the following discussion. Post number 46

Hi Kippure-

What the chart represents is a way of illustrating the pressure anomalies for certain Winters, if you look at the above post by Kold weather in the thread you will see darrens reference to ceratin years of I guess Strong La Nina years-

What GP has hen done has fed them into the reanalysis site & the image represents the 'averaged' pressure anomalies for those years combined-

On the scale the reds & yellows are +Ve anomalies & the blues & pruples below average anomalies-

Looking at the chart you can see that those years chosen how lower than average pressure at the pole & higher than average pressure along 30 & 40N - so for all intensive purposes these winters were shot for our region....

S

Posted

Hi Kippure-

What the chart represents is a way of illustrating the pressure anomalies for certain Winters, if you look at the above post by Kold weather in the thread you will see darrens reference to ceratin years of I guess Strong La Nina years-

What GP has hen done has fed them into the reanalysis site & the image represents the 'averaged' pressure anomalies for those years combined-

On the scale the reds & yellows are +Ve anomalies & the blues & pruples below average anomalies-

Looking at the chart you can see that those years chosen how lower than average pressure at the pole & higher than average pressure along 30 & 40N - so for all intensive purposes these winters were shot for our region....

S

Thanks

k.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I have to say I always find these charts hard to read. They are showing averages, and then variations from the norm: converting this to specific synoptics is a bit like trying to convert a random array of letters, produced by deconstructing a page in a book, back into a new and different page whish still makes sense. Not easy. At best you're using these charts to see potential generalisations, not least because there's a multitude of ways of taking a string of individual events to produce a derived average.