Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

So, just why do you like it cold/hot/wet/dry/foggy?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
:)

If I had to unbolt the cards from my chest then heat is what I like. The hotter in Summer the better ~ The warmer in Winter the better.

There's nothing like sitting in your garden when temperatures overtake 30C and leave behind the 20's.

Although, I would like some snowfall this Winter for my son Harry (15wks). And cold and snow go hand in hand :lol: :)

Mammatus

Yep I'm exactly the same as you. Hot summer, and mild winter, is my preferred. I do like snow and I will get out in it for photography purposes as snow is fantastic to look at, but frost is one of my least favourite weather types, as is sunny and cold, and cold and wet (basically all types of cold)

Although I like NW'ly airflows, and they tend to gives us hail, thunder and relatively mild temperatures in winter northerly variations.

Re: the 5C and below is true, my mind really goes blank, not sure why.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

My favourite weather is snow especially because we dont get it too often and thus the novelty factor about it. My second favourite type of weather is clear cold frosty conditions with temps as low as possible. One type of weather i hate with a passion is the weather associated with warm sectors, mild, humid, crap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. Damienslaw's point on airmasses, I agree totally- my favourite airmasses are polar and arctic maritime. The reason in my case is that they typically give rise to convective 'sunshine and showers' conditions, where the showers can also be of a thundery and/or wintry nature.

They don't even have to be especially cold- during spring and summer in particular I'm a big fan of those 'returning polar maritime' setups with low pressure to the west, a cyclonic/southerly regime over Britain, hazy sunshine early on, and heavy thundery showers spreading north and east.

I similarly enjoy arctic/polar continental airmasses when the airmass is relatively unstable as it crosses the North Sea, giving rise to similar bright showery conditions, and often those fabled 'easterly' snowfalls- but I'm not too fond of them otherwise, whereupon they tend to be dry and cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

my favourite weather is snow cause its such a rarity these days, cold, clear and frosty my second favourite, i cant stand humid weather, its so uncomfortable. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
my favourite weather is snow cause its such a rarity these days, cold, clear and frosty my second favourite, i cant stand humid weather, its so uncomfortable. :doh:

Pah - it makes a man of you and put hairs on your chest lad! :lol:

You know, I could happily live never seeing temps about 25c so long as the summer evenings stayed around 18-20c. The only reason I'm so into 30c sorts of temps is (apart from the 'extreme' feel of it) for those warm evenings. A day in June this year was perfect (the 3rd it was) - temps almost at 25c in the day, plenty of sunshine followed by an evening when temps didn't drop too much until long after midnight. Usual problem of 22-23c days is it's too chilly out in the evenings. Yes I know I could put some layers on but that's no fun!!

Posted

Most types of weather have there good and bad sides, I tend to dislike strong winds and for the rest obviously snowstorms or blizzards come high in my preference list but clear cold frosty days have a lot to recommend them,summer weather for me is preferrably not too hot.

Lets face it though we cannot be expecting to get what we like most of the time but a good fall of snow is long long overdue.

Posted
Yep I'm exactly the same as you. Hot summer, and mild winter.

No can`t have that.

Warm humid thundery summer a few extreme days like this summer also with a few cold/wet days/thunderstorms and a month like this august and a cold winter with blizzards, but with a couple of mild spells not lasting any more than a week.

And an autumn like we`re having now very dry except temps want to be 10c lower to today`s max 15c although it`s much better to rain/gales and getting soaked.

Posted

Fog and mist because they are atmospheric, ethereal and dreamy

Snow because it changes the reality around you and brings out the inner child

Cold because I like to snuggle up by the fire and it makes you appreciate hearth and home all the more

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

My favourite type of weather has to be hot and sunny. And dry. It's got to be dry weather. I hate, really, really hate rain. I like mild winters but not Atlantic driven ones. In fact, although I'm a mild lover I would prefer cold dry days in winter to mild, grey wet ones. Overall though, hot sunshine is my favourite.

As for why I prefer this type of weather ... well there is so much more one can do outdoors when it's sunny and dry. Plus getting up in the morning is so much easier when it's warm and the sun is shining. Cold, wet days just make me feel like turning over and going back to sleep :D

Edited by Cymru

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

exactly the same as sundog for my weather type, rime being fantastic makes it look white, 29th dec 2005 completely white everywhere with no sn0w

worst thing is missing snow when its due like 30th dec 2005 and march 12th 2006

Posted

Hot and humid, hazy, unstable with intermittent rainshowers, then a warm sticky evening with a slight breeze and a colossal thunderstorm at night.

The worst would be wet, windy and cold, and windy is the worst. I also hate snow, unless I'm inside with a powerful heater.

Edited by richarddx7

Posted
Hot and humid, hazy, unstable with intermittent rainshowers, then a warm sticky evening with a slight breeze and a colossal thunderstorm at night.

The worst would be wet, windy and cold, and windy is the worst. I also hate snow, unless I'm inside with a powerful heater.

Hi Richarddx7, welcome to the forum ;)

I was just thinking reading both yours and Snowmaidens posts whether

peoples weather preferences change as they get older.

I mention this as I used to be a lover of warm weather when I was younger,

but as I have got older I tend to lean towards the cold and Snowy side.

I wonder if as Snowmaiden said, it is because for some it takes them back to

their childhood.

I know that however cold its gets I seem to feel warmer inside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

GMG's post is interesting because most people I know have told me that most people prefer warmer as they get older- it just shows that there are rarely any hard and fast rules when it comes to preferences.

I've certainly changed slightly- I appreciate sunshine and thunderstorms more than I used to, and have become more tolerant of heat (particularly the 25-30C range). Meanwhile I've become less tolerant of dull weather and chill winds. My position on wintry weather, and on "sunshine and showers", doesn't seem to have changed much over the years.

My least favourite weather setup, by far, is one with a deep low to the south, bitter winds from the south-eastern quarter of the compass, and a slow-moving band of continuous rain. Except if temperatures are below 1C of course, but that rarely happens nowadays.

After that, it's pretty much anything involving persistent cloud cover, with the exception of those eerie misty anticyclonic days with hues near the horizon, which I can enjoy provided that the lack of sunshine doesn't persist for long.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
complete revamp of post!

Posted
Hi Richarddx7, welcome to the forum ;)

I was just thinking reading both yours and Snowmaidens posts whether

peoples weather preferences change as they get older.

I mention this as I used to be a lover of warm weather when I was younger,

but as I have got older I tend to lean towards the cold and Snowy side.

I wonder if as Snowmaiden said, it is because for some it takes them back to

their childhood.

I know that however cold its gets I seem to feel warmer inside.

Well it would be something good to see a white Christmas again, I am hoping for that some day. I think my liking of hot/warm weather is something related to my memories of that associated with severe/strong thunderstorms in particular, especially in other more hot and humid countries.

Another reason is that I feel the cold easily and my body can, however, tolerate high temperatures very well. I just seem enjoy coping with 30-35*C and full on sunshine such as in Rome summer 2007 where I could walk around the town endlessly in the scorching heat with no problem, whereas the people I was with couldn't stick the heat. Just something to do with my body build I guess. Back here in England when I got back it was 14*C mid-day in July, black and grey clouds and windy and I wanted to go right back! I used to live in Berkshire where it could occasionally exceed 30*C in the summer. I will never forget a massive storm on July 3rd early morning 1999 after a hot and sticky day, so that memory sticks in my mind, just that feel before a powerful storm. OK so a thunderstorm can happen in any temperature but when it is 25*C with 90% humidity outside there seems to be a lot more energy for it to be a spectacular powerful storm.

In my memories a warm and sticky period in the summer in the UK has usually ended with an outbreak of good thunderstorms. Lincolnshire in particular gets more than enough of that compared to anywhere else in the UK. So summer 2007 may not have had much heat but some good storms this year, about 13 thunderstorms in June alone. Here I have generally experienced about twice the storms a year I would in Berkshire.

I've thought after graduating from my course here in the UK and getting some other work I may spend some time in the Marshall Islands because I've always wanted to experience life there (hot and humid but actually hardly any thunderstorms, average less than Lincolnshire does!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
There's nothing like sitting in your garden when temperatures overtake 30C and leave behind the 20's.

I wouldn't be able to sit in the garden in those sorts of temperatures. I'd much rather have the 20.

Posted
Aye, especially if like me you are programmed to implode at 31ºC. Did you know that Scotsmen start melting at 28.3ºC? Best hot temp is about 24ºC. Anymore slowly stops being fun.

;)

I entirely agree.

Posted
Nice one ;) .

My three year old sets the limit at 19.7ºC. Anything more and he gives up moving. Hopefully with age he will learn to endure heat. (and I jest not!)

Indeed, he definitely wouldn't like it down here then! In warm plumes night temps are often above 19.7C. I even refuse to move then, I end up falling asleep in front of a fan on full blast- I can't stand sticky nights. The only thing that would make them bearable is a decent thunderstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a metre of lying snow

I can't seem to regulate my body temp once the outside temp gets above 25 C - so I like it cold. Will fish at -6C without gloves. Enjoyed an event in Norway where my feet froze to the ice in the bottom of the boat I was fishing in. Had to break the ice to move.

Been to Siberia in Jan and April - both times cold ( -18 in Jan) and really enjoyed the crispness of the air. During the Jan trip I saw that the air was "twinkling" in the sunshine and realised that the air was full of tiny ice crystals. Magical.

Kevin

Posted

very similer in Lapland which im going to miss this year, out on skiddoos at -33 is an experiance that you wouldnt belive. But it doesnt seem to be that cold with all your ski gear on roll on next year going for 2 weeks ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
I can't seem to regulate my body temp once the outside temp gets above 25 C - so I like it cold. Will fish at -6C without gloves. Enjoyed an event in Norway where my feet froze to the ice in the bottom of the boat I was fishing in. Had to break the ice to move.

Been to Siberia in Jan and April - both times cold ( -18 in Jan) and really enjoyed the crispness of the air. During the Jan trip I saw that the air was "twinkling" in the sunshine and realised that the air was full of tiny ice crystals. Magical.

Kevin

Now that I'd like to see! I'm very keen on heading somewhere *really* cold during winter at some point - just for the experiance. Would love to visit Greenland, Siberia & Antarctica.

At home it's diferent as you have to do things like go to work, shopping & pay for expensive heating which make cold weather somewhat less fun to deal with. Grey slushy streets are no fun for walking/cycling in either making snow not the romantic & exciting thing it's often portrayed to be.

Posted

I hate it when it is really warm like high 20's. I don't like the feeling of being sticky and it makes me so tired. I had hot nights too because i can't sleep.

I love snow because when it falls it is lovely. It is white and is a proper christmas scene (even if it isn't christmas). I know it sounds wierd but seeing snow makes me happy. I like wrapping up in scarves and gloves. I also like rain. I like being inside in the warm when it is tipping it down outside and i think of all the poor people stuck outside. :cold:

I went to New Zealand last february and it was 28 degrees most days. I would have given anything to be back home where the snow was (even though it was nowhere near cornwall). But i had to watch it on the news instead. My friend even offered to put some snow in the freezer for me to make a mini snowman (thats how sad i am). <_<