Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Laser pointers for astronomy

fuzion

Posted

very cool site to buy laser pointers and high powered lasers for use in star pointing at http://www.wickedlasers.com/index.php

also great forum to find out and discuss more about these lasers here http://www.spectraforum.com/

Fuzion

Edited by fuzion

Posted
I've had one of the green ones (a Howie Glatter one) for about 4 years now, and there's nothing I like more than pointing it at military aircraft and then running like hell.

some of the higher powered lasers they sale are capable of burning and are very dangerous to the eye! and they come at a hefty price tag i myself have 6 lasers from 5mw -300mw of red green and blue as well as purple/violet.

But beware once you buy one it gets adictive and very expensive lol

quick pic atached to show ya some of mine

Fuzion

post-1430-1197541854_thumb.jpg

Edited by fuzion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
I've had one of the green ones (a Howie Glatter one) for about 4 years now, and there's nothing I like more than pointing it at military aircraft and then running like hell.

Careful the Accuracy International .50 Cal sniping rifle sometimes has a green laser and the aircrafts detection systems are, if switched on able to relay a GPS(military version accurate to less than a foot) position to a coordination center in seconds :)

You are an adrenalin junkie :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Hmmmm, lasers. Maybe a few mirrors around the place and the glitter ball........shame Santa's only bringing me coal again this year.............

Posted
Careful the Accuracy International .50 Cal sniping rifle sometimes has a green laser and the aircrafts detection systems are, if switched on able to relay a GPS(military version accurate to less than a foot) position to a coordination center in seconds :)
Yeah - I don't really! What I do do though is swish it through the branches of the tree and let the villagers marvel at the magic dancing pixies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Yeah - I don't really! What I do do though is swish it through the branches of the tree and let the villagers marvel at the magic dancing pixies.

I kind of knew you were joking :) But with the saying there is now't as strange as folk, I thought I would say just in case ;)

What you need is one of those little crystal balls(gift shop variety) hung in the tree, aim it at that and you have an Angle :)

Important compensation culture note:- Rustynailer recommends that laser proof goggles are worn by all children and adults witnessing the Appleby Angle :)

Posted

Don't want to be a killjoy, but Magpies warning should not be taken lightly. Not for no-good reason then that the legal use of lasers for pointing devices in the UK is limited to Class II <1mW power.

Legally, all lasers must be classified according to the danger presented to vision. Unfortunately, imported lasers very often exceed these safety limits and therefore classification by the manufacturer is no guarantee of safety. Beware imported products.

The power limit above which visual damage will result is defined by DIN std EN60825-1 at 25W/m2 on the retina.

Even at <1mW power, depending on the spot size, these lasers can exceed 4000W/m2 at 5 feet on the retina!

Far worse than staring directly at the sun.

For many years I worked as a designer in the aerospace industry where lasers were used for target designation, ranging etc. Very strict health and safety legislation meant rigorous training in their safe use and 6 monthly comprehensive eye tests were mandatory.

Just a polite warning that if you misuse a laser pointer, this is the kind of grief you can find yourself facing. These are UK specific laws:

By shining a laser at an aircraft, you are committing an offence under the "Safety of air navigation act". If convicted you face up to 6 months imprisonment AND £100,000 fine.

By using your laser outside i.e. not private property you are violating HS(G)95. The Health & Safety Executive rules on public use of lasers. Basically an un-authorised display. The HSE can implement £UNLIMITED fines.

If your actions result in property damage you are liable for criminal damage.

If you injure someone you are looking at GBH. Up yo 5 years prison.

If you kill someone its Manslaughter. 20 YEARS.

Have fun but please take care and be responsible.

Sermon over.

ffO.

Edited by full_frontal_occlusion

Posted
Don't want to be a killjoy, but Magpies warning should not be taken lightly. Not for no-good reason then that the legal use of lasers for pointing devices in the UK is limited to Class II <1mW power.

Legally, all lasers must be classified according to the danger presented to vision. Unfortunately, imported lasers very often exceed these safety limits and therefore classification by the manufacturer is no guarantee of safety. Beware imported products.

The power limit above which visual damage will result is defined by DIN std EN0825-1 at 25W/m2 on the retina.

Even at <1mW power, depending on the spot size, these lasers can exceed 4000W/m2 at 5 feet on the retina!

Far worse than staring directly at the sun.

For many years I worked as a designer in the aerospace industry where lasers were used for target designation, ranging etc. Very strict health and safety legislation meant rigorous training in their safe use and 6 monthly comprehensive eye tests were mandatory.

Just a polite warning that if you misuse a laser pointer, this is the kind of grief you can find yourself facing. These are UK specific laws:

By shining a laser at an aircraft, you are committing an offence under the "Safety of air navigation act". If convicted you face up to 6 months imprisonment AND £100,000 fine.

By using your laser outside i.e. not private property you are violating HS(G)95. The Health & Safety Executive rules on public use of lasers. Basically an un-authorised display. The HSE can implement £UNLIMITED fines.

If your actions result in property damage you are liable for criminal damage.

If you injure someone you are looking at GBH. Up yo 5 years prison.

If you kill someone its Manslaughter. 20 YEARS.

Have fun but please take care and be responsible.

Sermon over.

ffO.

Yes quite very serious lasers most of mine are class IIIb and i always use laser safety goggles when using them.

anything 5mw and below is legal like the core series on wickedlasers site is great for starpointing

however i use my spyder II BX blue laser as i find it is more visable and looks cool !

Fuzion

Use link below for 5% discount at wicked lasers if your thinking of buying! :D

matchbanner.gif

Posted

When I die I want them to record the cause of my death as 'death by laser' so future historians will think I had an interesting life.

Posted

When I die, I want them to record the cause of death as death by orgasm so people think I had a sex life.

I perhaps think I just need to say one more time (just in case) that I don't really do this!

Apparently my laser has an output of between 3mW and 5mW and is a class IIIa. Whether this is legal or not in the UK I have no idea, but in the middle of a fell at the dead of night pointing towards Arcturus, I consider it perfectly safe.

Posted
When I die, I want them to record the cause of death as death by orgasm so people think I had a sex life.

I perhaps think I just need to say one more time (just in case) that I don't really do this!

Apparently my laser has an output of between 3mW and 5mW and is a class IIIa. Whether this is legal or not in the UK I have no idea, but in the middle of a fell at the dead of night pointing towards Arcturus, I consider it perfectly safe.

Think of all the fun you could have with a class IV laser at a petrol station or creating black tulips or practicing distance depilation. The possibilities are endless.