Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is it alarmism,capitalism or concern?

I have probably been watching too many documentarys but they seem to have been filled with doom and gloom,everything from supervolcanoes to ele comets/asteriods,magnetic pole reversals,GW,big freeze and super viruses etc.They all seem to state that whichever disaster is their pet is now 'X' ammount of millions/thousands/tens of years overdue!Is this to create funding, attention, mischief or genuine concern for our futures?

Posted
I have probably been watching too many documentarys but they seem to have been filled with doom and gloom,everything from supervolcanoes to ele comets/asteriods,magnetic pole reversals,GW,big freeze and super viruses etc.They all seem to state that whichever disaster is their pet is now 'X' ammount of millions/thousands/tens of years overdue!Is this to create funding, attention, mischief or genuine concern for our futures?

Mischief and a lot of press.....that tends to make advertisers happy, and sells advertising slots [i refer of course to Channel 4, who is the main offender].

Most people forget that commercial TV revolves around adverts rather than programmes......

Just hype. Everyone likes a good disaster story. That's why there are documentaries on it, because they draw in the viewers. The end of the world when it will come though will likely come up on us slowly and without us really knowing. It'll be very subtle.

The world ends not with a bang but with a whisper. H.G. Wells said that I think.

Just hype. Everyone likes a good disaster story. That's why there are documentaries on it, because they draw in the viewers. The end of the world when it will come though will likely come up on us slowly and without us really knowing. It'll be very subtle.

The world ends not with a bang but with a whisper. H.G. Wells said that I think.

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper.

T.S. Eliot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The only 'facts' that go into the progs is that they have occured in our past. We would be incredibly unfortunate to fall foul to such events in our lifetime........then again we're not doing too bad in our own sweet way (AGW,H5N1,AIDs).....

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hi Hannegan me old mucker, sorry about a long overdue reply-post, but if you think you've gone overboard on disaster documentaries lately, this is the one web-site you dont want to check out....lol! :lol:

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

Posted
Hi Hannegan me old mucker, sorry about a long overdue reply-post, but if you think you've gone overboard on disaster documentaries lately, this is the one web-site you dont want to check out....lol! :lol:

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

Well, that passd a fun hour :lol: It's a miracle we're still here. Even gray-Wolf & calarissian haven't started espousing some of these ways for us to go yet! I suppose there's time though :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Well, that passd a fun hour :lol: It's a miracle we're still here. Even gray-Wolf & calarissian haven't started espousing some of these ways for us to go yet! I suppose there's time though :lol:

Certainly an eye-opening web site isnt it?...sleep well! :lol:

Posted
Certainly an eye-opening web site isnt it?...sleep well! :lol:

Yes & no, I just treated it as the entertainment it's obviously meant to be. I'd heard of a lot of the stuff & in particular some of the quantum research stuff has made me wonder from time to time, you know, messing with forces we don't understand & all that. At the end of the day though, other more advanced civilisations must already have done all of this stuff & the universe is still here, so I'm OK with it :lol:

Dave

Posted
Yes & no, I just treated it as the entertainment it's obviously meant to be. I'd heard of a lot of the stuff & in particular some of the quantum research stuff has made me wonder from time to time, you know, messing with forces we don't understand & all that. At the end of the day though, other more advanced civilisations must already have done all of this stuff & the universe is still here, so I'm OK with it :lol:

Dave

aye its good fun!

Posted

They missed out the scenario where at the BBC Television Studios, the VTR machine goes haywire, and churns out endless repeats of the eurovision song contest on all channels...The earth is doomed!.... :mellow: