Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis Rain Gauge Additions

Guys,

Finally got the VP2 ISS mounted on its post 5' off the vegetable patch, and the wind sensors 1m above the roofline (seems way higher up when you're straddling the apex than when you're looking up from the ground :D ) No lightning protection fitted!. All seems well - registered my first 2.5mm of rain this evening, YES!

Regarding the ISS rain gauge: would it be wise to put some stainless wires around the periphery to stop birds crapping in it, and can someone give me a description of the leaf filter which I do not appear to have, or can anyone suggest a suitable ready made but easily obtainable alternative? Would a normal drainpipe filter do, or would it need some specific mods such as thinning the bits that touch the sides?

Thanks a lot,

Garth.

Posted
Guys,

Finally got the VP2 ISS mounted on its post 5' off the vegetable patch, and the wind sensors 1m above the roofline (seems way higher up when you're straddling the apex than when you're looking up from the ground :) ) No lightning protection fitted!. All seems well - registered my first 2.5mm of rain this evening, YES!

Regarding the ISS rain gauge: would it be wise to put some stainless wires around the periphery to stop birds crapping in it, and can someone give me a description of the leaf filter which I do not appear to have, or can anyone suggest a suitable ready made but easily obtainable alternative? Would a normal drainpipe filter do, or would it need some specific mods such as thinning the bits that touch the sides?

Thanks a lot,

Garth.

Indeed. I remember putting my anemometer pole up (top of a rather high old victorian house) going out on the roof and fixing to the house, as you say seems alot higher when your up there. :)

As regards the rain gauge, i find the filter that comes with the unit does just fine (its a small piece that sits in the bucket), although the position of my ISS means that i dont get birds sitting on it and leaves falling into it, so theres not really a problem anyway. However i do find that spiders like to build a large nest inside it, as long as they dont interfere with the buckets i leave them be.

Im sure you could add wire or something around the rim to stop birds sitting on it, as long as the bucket itself is not covered then it should be fine. I havent heard of such a device being on the market but i think it would be fairy easy to do a DIY job.

Indeed. I remember putting my anemometer pole up (top of a rather high old victorian house) going out on the roof and fixing to the house, as you say seems alot higher when your up there. :D

As regards the rain gauge, i find the filter that comes with the unit does just fine (its a small piece that sits in the bucket), although the position of my ISS means that i dont get birds sitting on it and leaves falling into it, so theres not really a problem anyway. However i do find that spiders like to build a large nest inside it, as long as they dont interfere with the buckets i leave them be.

Im sure you could add wire or something around the rim to stop birds sitting on it, as long as the bucket itself is not covered then it should be fine. I havent heard of such a device being on the market but i think it would be fairy easy to do a DIY job.

Cheers for that.

Could you (or anyone else) possibly post a picture of the Davis filter, with a couple of dimensions??

Thanks a lot for the info,

Garth.

I don't suppose you'd want me as your family planning advisor either then.

Not if what you had in mind looks anything like this (at least not on weekdays). I made it out of a B&Q drainpipe leaf filter, cut down with some brass wire glued on to keep in upright:

post-6355-1200240922_thumb.jpg