Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm chasers

Cookie

Posted

wensday 19th march channel five at 8 Pm!

documentary series following two teams as they attempt to intercept and film a tornado from within its area of effect, film-maker Sean Casey and research meteorologist john wirman track their first storm of the season in Texas

should be interesting.

Edited by cookie

Posted

Have already seen this in the Tinternet. It is a great series of 4 x 1 Hour programmes, only downside is they have messed around with the running order to make it out that the last Storm of the Season was the one that Sean captured wit his Imax Camera, In reality he got the shot on April 27th on the Nickerson (Kansas) Supercells :drunk:

It is well worth watching though!

Paul S

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Arrrggghhh!!! It's not on??? Why's that? Not changed on listings or anything! Wonder when it will be shown :)

Silly Dermot show on now lol

EDIT Now on 8 pm Fri, must be a popular programme to put it prime time!!!

Edited by Dazmaster75

Posted

Caught the first one and have another on the HDD waiting for a spare hour. Do you think NW would sponsor me to manufacture the UK version of the Tornado Intercept Vehicle?

Dsc_5810d70sm2.jpg

Posted

Haha coast ;)

Have they shown this series before, because I remember a programme on with that 'tornado tank' last year, or is a follow on??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Watched the US version of the series on Youtube. Was good, I really enjoyed it. A lot of these types of programmes I feel are a bit too sensationalist for my liking but I found this one good. The episode featuring the aftermath of Greensburg was the most interesting I thought, kind of gave the scientific part of the mission a new determination.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Amongst all the gadgets to take along on a storm chase don't forget the plastic bottle!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Another good episode tonight. But it seems like too many egos getting in the way of success to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Another good episode tonight. But it seems like too many egos getting in the way of success to me!

I think it showed how difficult it was to catch a tornado. I wonder how do the nw team decide which way to go if different members of the team have differing opinions on where a tornado is going to form? Who decides?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Argh, I watched last week's, but I missed the one tonight! :)

When is it repeated does anybody know?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just watching it on Channel 5 right now, where the the TIV guys make the wrong decision of waiting for the smaller satellite tornado when a larger tornado drops further east and the one they should have got on had they not have disregarded Josh Werman's advice of leaving the smaller satellite nado - ironically the support vehicle for the DOW and TIV was much closer to the big tornado but they had to escape it! After missing the larger tornado due to crossing the road too soon, a third tornado touches down - but they still miss it as it crosses the road before they get there! Bad moods all round between them.

Have seen the whole series already (at the storm chasers' BBQ last month) - but fun to watch their misfortune again - them being out of place for the Greensburg F5, despite Sean (the IMAX filmaker in the TIV) choosing it as the target for the day but having to go along with Josh's target much further north- is even more amusing too.

Posted

Not sure if they've shown the chase day when the Greensburg EF5 occured yet, as have missed the episodes so far until tonight - but it was certainly a major bust for them to be way north in Kansas when they should've been down in south central Kansas where Sean favoured a target of Greensburg that morning. Obviously they would've got great invaluable doppler data on the DOW of the storm which dropped the F5, though they wouldn't have want to have hung around when it came through - as the TIV would in no way have survived a direct hit by an EF5!

Next episode at 8 pm Friday I believe.

Posted
you've only missed one so far, and that was the one they missed the tulia storm.

Ive seen all 4, and have em on Dvd :whistling: :lol: