Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fishery Protection Vessel and Freight Ferry

Posted

Was down at the beach today and got some images of the Fishery Protection Vessel which is often seen around the isle of lewis.

more info on the sottish fisheries protection agency

the seas where quite rough and winds of up to 40 mph!

P3200288.jpg

P3200292.jpg

P3200299.jpg

P3200303.jpg

whilst I was out their the fright ferry the Muirneag

was attempting to get into stornoway harbor

P3200300.jpg

P3200311.jpg

P3200314.jpg

P3200315.jpg

LEWIS

Freight Ullapool - Stornoway

Reason : adverse weather

Further information : Freight service from Stornoway to Ullapool & return has been cancelled due to adverse weather.

Last Updated : 20 Mar 2008 12:18

CALMAC

Posted
Nice pics

thanks mate, but ain't you listening to what people are saying?

its bugging me know.

it isn't that hard to put something a little extra then the same old thing over and over again

Posted
I dont think its armed.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be. Still it looks pretty agressive. Reminds me of some years ago when the royal navy had repeated skirmishes with icelandic trawlers and the like. I guess its all fished out these days though - shame!

I don't think they are armed as they are not military, they are a government agency that protects the UK fleets and fish stocks.

They check that vessels fishing in UK territorial waters are using the correct gear, they don't over fish the area and that the vessels and logs are up to code.

Both of them were on our (Coastguard) AIS all day yesterday & the Muirneag managed to get into the harbour at around 5pm yesterday. She was dodging outside the harbour waiting for the wind to ease as I don't think she has a bow thruster which makes it difficult to berth with the cross winds they had yesterday. :)

Posted
Very nice photos there Cookie, seems like a slight mist was present though as visablity was a little lower then it would be on a clear day?

How far away would you guess those ships were?

yeah think their was a wee bit. also was very windy didn't help,

had to guess not very many miles out