Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great Whernside 02/04/08

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

I undertook the long and steep ascent of Great Whernside today at 704m, where the views were superb, particularly of the 3 peaks (Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-y-ghent). G. Whernside is the 4th highest mountain in Yorkshire.

I am particularly pleased to have reached the top at my third attempt! I was 7 when we first did it and I cracked my head badly on a stone, whereupon I was carried down the mountain to Skipton hospital. 2nd time: we were blown off the side in 70 mph gusts so had to turn back; 3rd time returned alone with no problems.

Unfortunately it wasn't the best picture-taking day what with the anti-cyclonic gloom, but here are a few reasonable ones:

post-5260-1207172777_thumb.jpg

The summit is in the background here:

post-5260-1207172804_thumb.jpg

post-5260-1207172914_thumb.jpg

post-5260-1207172942_thumb.jpg

Kettlewell village (great pub at end!)

post-5260-1207173014_thumb.jpg

:whistling:

Edited by Yeti

Posted

Always am impressed by the flatness of hills in Britain, quite different to what I am used to these days. And that village- nothing like that over here that's for sure! :whistling:

I also see the lack of trees, is that due to the landscape being progressively deforested or is it pretty much above the bushline for naturally occurring trees in that area? At what elevation is the bushline in Yorkshire?

Posted

The Dales used to be forested, but like 95% of our woodland it's nearly all been destroyed for farming. The valleys are very green, as are all farmed areas, but where there are no sheep it turns bleak, marshy and moor-like. That's why it's vital that we keep our farmers!