Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Antarctica

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80604141005.htm

I've found another appraisal of the paper mentioned above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80604141005.htm

I've found another appraisal of the paper mentioned above.

GW

Ta and very interesting. This next quote concerns me and for a different reason

Seismic waves from what are loosely called "glacial earthquakes," mainly near Greenland, were originally reported in 2003, and the numbers have been increasing in recent years.

Within the magnetic field system from 'heavenly' bodies [sun/planets] and the Milankovitch cycles an increase of seismic activity is believed to experienced. Are we on precipice of a major cooldown...are the signs beginning to show? That is my fear.

BFTP

Just to add the real reason for the movements are not really known but they are occurring. A very interesting article though and a good post

BFTP

Posted

Ta Blast.

I can only guess from the geology I know that the movements may be similar to fault plane movements where the forces eventually overcome the inertia along the fault plane resulting in slippage. Of course here we have this occurring many times daily in the glacier and also instead of it being a rock on rock surface it is ice on rock at the movement surface. Because of the pressures on the ice it is able to both plastically deform and freeze/thaw (almost like the partial melt that occurs in metamorphic rocks with tiny areas melting whilst the matrix remains solid.

With the increased snowfall occurring on the peninsula the 'pressures' on the glaciers must surely be increasing forcing more 'slips' and transporting ever more ice to the oceans.

I would imagine that, in a 'melting' scenario like Greenland there is a great increase in basal water flow further lubricating the movement surface and so allowing for bigger slips to occur each failure at the movement surface that occurs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Given the regular 12 hour spacing, I suspect Lunar or tidal influences at play here; it would be interesting if the magnitude varied along with the different tides.

Posted
Given the regular 12 hour spacing, I suspect Lunar or tidal influences at play here; it would be interesting if the magnitude varied along with the different tides.

The Antarctic has rather a unique tidal signature. The solar tidal influence cycles over the year, with little contribution to the monthly and diurnal cycle tidal heights. Here is the tide forecast for Ross Island over the next week:

post-7302-1213045141_thumb.jpg

The Antarctic tidal range is comparable to the swell experienced in the open oceans, rather than the large ranges we see around the UK and other parts of the northern hemisphere where the land and ocean topographies focus the tides over shallow continental shelves into narrowing inlets. The limits are +1.2m and -0.1m compared with the astronomical low tide datum. These limits are encountered at spring tides which occur near the lunar perigee or apogee, but in the Antarctic, bear no relationship to the phase of the moon!

In September, the full moon nearly coincides with the Antarctic neap tide:

post-7302-1213047511_thumb.jpg

In both charts, the little wiggles near the neap tides with the least tidal range are due to the solar component of the Antarctic ocean tide. The reason it does not produce two high tides a day as is experienced on most northern hemisphere coasts, is because there is no continent to impede the tidal race following the moon's gravitational pull on the southern oceans around the Antarctic continent.

So, I am not surprised that there is diurnal seismic signal on the southern continent, and as you surmise, Jethro, it is likely to have a lunar connection.

If anyone cares to look at Google Earth, the volcanic submarine arc that comprises the South Sandwich Is. follows the lunar tidal drag, shaping both Antarctica, & South America over the last few million years, as do most younger volcanic arcs, e.g. Monsarrat, evolving in an eastern direction. The more northerly,older Pacific arcs have a south-eastern orientation, and just a few old arcs, like Fiji, in the central Pacific, tend to the west, following the inertial rotation of the earth.

(The tidal charts were generated using Wxtide4.7 from http://wxtide32.com

Posted

Jethro, I seem to remember (though I have the memory of a goldfish) a paper on the tidal influence on the Glaciers on Antarctica with the calvings at the snout being strongly influenced by the gravitational pull of the moon.

Though less measurable the earths crust also swells/is pulled up when the moon is overhead (just as the oceans are pulled up/bulge when the moon is overhead)

Bluecon, due to the spec. grav. of ice being less than continental crust I would expect it to bulge more than the land surface when the moon is overhead and so the 'ice truckers' to whom you refer do drive over this dynamic event once a month. I think you'll find ice thickness has more to do with the negating of ocean tidal surges. This of course is important as the 'new' thinner single year ice can, and will, be ruptured by tidal action in a way that the Perennial ice could not which in turn leads to faster ablation as a greater surface area of ice surface is presented to the warm (relatively) waters below

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

GW: It was the regular 12 hour spacing which made me think of Lunar, glad I'm not completely bonkers.

Came across these pics - no not mine - on-line.

Apparently,

"Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet

fills up with meltwater and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.

When an iceberg falls into the sea, a layer of salty seawater can

freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a

green stripe.

Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up

when the ice sheet grinds downhill towards the sea".

post-6280-1213105406_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1213105413_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1213105420_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1213105427_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1213105435_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1213105442_thumb.jpg

Jethro, I seem to remember (though I have the memory of a goldfish) a paper on the tidal influence on the Glaciers on Antarctica with the calvings at the snout being strongly influenced by the gravitational pull of the moon.

Though less measurable the earths crust also swells/is pulled up when the moon is overhead (just as the oceans are pulled up/bulge when the moon is overhead)

Bluecon, due to the spec. grav. of ice being less than continental crust I would expect it to bulge more than the land surface when the moon is overhead and so the 'ice truckers' to whom you refer do drive over this dynamic event once a month. I think you'll find ice thickness has more to do with the negating of ocean tidal surges. This of course is important as the 'new' thinner single year ice can, and will, be ruptured by tidal action in a way that the Perennial ice could not which in turn leads to faster ablation as a greater surface area of ice surface is presented to the warm (relatively) waters below

The full moon causes larger tides that tend to crack the ice.

They still manage to have little problem running huge semi trucks(do you call them lorries?) with huge loads over hundreds of miles of ice roads to supply the oil drilling, etc., sites on the ice.

Posted
The full moon causes larger tides that tend to crack the ice.

They still manage to have little problem running huge semi trucks(do you call them lorries?) with huge loads over hundreds of miles of ice roads to supply the oil drilling, etc., sites on the ice.

And most of the gear for D'Day trundled over small ,wooden barges.......I'm sure you have a point somewhere bluecon but I'm struggling to find it :) .

Again we seem to be having a similar type of confusion here to that up north with ice mins remaining constant regardless of what single year ice forms whilst ,meanwhile, the continent and shelves shed mass year on year. Most models explain how we will see the decline in antarctic ice with increased circumpolar winds and more rapid deep water upwelling (and all the short term impacts this brings) yet some still whitter about a bit of sea ice whilst all around is warming.

Ho Hum. :D

Posted
And most of the gear for D'Day trundled over small ,wooden barges.......I'm sure you have a point somewhere bluecon but I'm struggling to find it :D .

Again we seem to be having a similar type of confusion here to that up north with ice mins remaining constant regardless of what single year ice forms whilst ,meanwhile, the continent and shelves shed mass year on year. Most models explain how we will see the decline in antarctic ice with increased circumpolar winds and more rapid deep water upwelling (and all the short term impacts this brings) yet some still whitter about a bit of sea ice whilst all around is warming.

Ho Hum. :o

Sorry GW you are obviously not looking at the overall ice cover/anomaly. It continues to rise and even after the recent Wilkins collapse we are still ahead of even last year! And no we are not currently warming...like it or not there has been no warming for 10 years and ALL the signs are of a downturn in global temps....that is current not projection.

BFTP,

Posted

Yes it is...and as that report clearly shows IPCC are certainly not be all and end all and in all honesty they haven't a clue how the planet will respond. It may warm it may not. That to me underlines the whole problem with full AGW..it demonstrates the fact that global climate change is an 'unknown'. For now we cool.

BFTP

Posted

It's another " Clean Air Act" is it not??? Back then we 'cleaned up our act to preserve surface air quality only to exacerbate global warming and it seems we are doing the same again. When we note something that we have caused that will directly impact 'human life' we act without thinking about what it has shielded us from.....silly old humans eh?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
It's another " Clean Air Act" is it not??? Back then we 'cleaned up our act to preserve surface air quality only to exacerbate global warming and it seems we are doing the same again. When we note something that we have caused that will directly impact 'human life' we act without thinking about what it has shielded us from.....silly old humans eh?

Doomwolfe give it a rest for once. When we get to the stage of zero pollutions we'll still be doing something wrong. Someone someone where will jump up and down alarming you've got to learn to chill out. Remember you killed us 500000000 times already and we're still alive and err so is planet.

Posted

Doomwolfe.... :)

I can't change the reports but I may be a tad selective in my choices! As comedians tend towards depressive mindsets when off the stage I tend towards euphoria when away from the boards Pit......... :lol:

Posted

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Even_The..._Shelf_999.html

And still Wilkins continues to fall apart.....shame the sea ice isn't thick enough to hold it in place eh?

Do check out the animation.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

http://www.slate.com/id/2192730/

So not just me then?

When a plant is dying it may put on the most spectacular display so 'swan songs' may be many and varied through nature (including dying stars).

These few years of 'ice extent growth' will prove to be Antarctica's 'Swan Song' and much the same as the single year ice debate ,insofar as extents were concerned, that raged through late winter.

Meanwhile we will still see massive net losses in ice mass from the continent and the death of Wilkins next southern summer. What can you say to allow folk to see?

http://www.slate.com/id/2192730/

So not just me then?

When a plant is dying it may put on the most spectacular display so 'swan songs' may be many and varied through nature (including dying stars).

These few years of 'ice extent growth' will prove to be Antarctica's 'Swan Song' and much the same as the single year ice debate ,insofar as extents were concerned, that raged through late winter.

Meanwhile we will still see massive net losses in ice mass from the continent and the death of Wilkins next southern summer. What can you say to allow folk to see?

Except for the fact that there is a massive growth of the ice.

Posted

S_daily_extent.png

Where bluecon? If we take all the little slivers of extra ice beyond the 'normal' and stick them around the peninsula do you think they'll be any left over?

Posted
Where bluecon? If we take all the little slivers of extra ice beyond the 'normal' and stick them around the peninsula do you think they'll be any left over?

Yeah - about 1.5million square kilometres

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IM...t.365.south.jpg

and rising!!!!

So now we even have studies on ice cover disgareeing with each other. The Internet is great in that you can try and research something you don't agree with but at the same time it's such a potential source of bull it creates most of the disinformation you don't agree with in the first place - perpetual motion has been discovered....

Yeah - about 1.5million square kilometres

Apologies - 1.3m sq km - don't want to appear to be exaggerating :)

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IM....anom.south.jpg

Posted

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/..._timeseries.png

any reasons for the above? shouldn't we be rapidly expanding at this time of year?

Posted

Seems a bit strange that doesn't it. Either a data error or maybe a chunk of ice has broken off?

Posted
Seems a bit strange that doesn't it. Either a data error or maybe a chunk of ice has broken off?

I would say probably a bit of political "correction".