Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

NW Blog - It?s nearly time!

While you will be able to follow the very latest exploits from this years chase teams over on the chase 08 forum, I thought I’d also run a blog as it’s my first time out storm chasing and I want to share the experience from a personal perspective.

Between Paul Sherman and myself it’s been a long slog getting this years chases organised, with a heck of a lot of work behind the scenes needed to put them all together, it’s quite a relief now that everything is set and it’s just a case of turning up and doing it.

I’ll be honest and say I’ve never been a huge fan of storms, when I was small I was always pretty scared of them, and that’s kind of stuck, so this trip will be a real eye opener, I’ll either **** my pants or will quickly get over that fear and enjoy what will be some incredibly specatcular storms. Hopefully it’ll be the latter!

One bit of kit we’re taking on the tour this year is a Wifi phone made by Vonage, and what it means is that whenever we’re able to hook up to the internet using a wireless signal, we effectively have a UK based landline available to us. So people can call in without it costing an arm and a leg and we can call out to UK and US based numbers free as well. Based on the amount that usually gets spent on mobile charges on this type of trip (or indeed any trip abroad) it should save a fortune.

As well as the Vonage phone, we’ve got all manner of other gadgets to use on the chase, from basics like GPS to the barons system which uses satellites to display the latest radar imagery and weather data. We also have a mobile internet card to give us ongoing net access on the road - so we should be up to date all the way.

Anyway, that’s it for this entry - please call back regularly during the tour for updates on how things are progressing.

Paul

View the full article

Posted

I’ll either **** my pants

hope you don't run out of toilet paper mate!

looking forward to reading regular updates from you all.