Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Jet Stream and Us

Louby

Posted

I thought alot of you that are like me and still need L plates where weather is concerned might find this a very interesting start to learning about the jet stream, I found this very interesting, its on the BBC iPlayer for the next 6 days so get in and watch it quick, and I am sure if you have questions about the jet stream after watching it our more knowledgeable members would kindly answer.

fingers crossed the link will work.

The Jet Stream and Us

Posted
I thought alot of you that are like me and still need L plates where weather is concerned might find this a very interesting start to learning about the jet stream, I found this very interesting, its on the BBC iPlayer for the next 6 days so get in and watch it quick, and I am sure if you have questions about the jet stream after watching it our more knowledgeable members would kindly answer.

fingers crossed the link will work.

The Jet Stream and Us

How much detail does it go into? Does it talk about favoured divergence/convergence regions? Does it discuss differences with the subtropical jet? It's BBC4 so I imagine it's a pretty good documentary.

(Not that I can watch it anyway!)

Posted

try the link Louby has kindly posted, no reason why you cannot see it in N Zealand, its on the web?

its a repeat I think of something done perhaps 6 months or so ago.

not bad for the most

Posted

Not bad at all! Enjoyed it - somewhere in between a basic intruduction and intermediate understanding I'd say. Although I do remember it didn't explain how there is more one jet stream and how they interact etc. That must be for the advanced students!

iplayer only works from UK ip addresses John. My techie mates on holiday in the US couldn't even trick it through setting-up dodgy UK ips from the States. Copyright you see.

Posted

tks for that Shuggee, my apologies to our NZ member

Posted

Well I have to say I learnt something from it! I at least have a basic understanding of them now. It didn't go into great detail J07, which for me was a good thing as it would have gone straight over my head

Posted

No problem, if it had pretty satellite pictures I'd have been happy!

Probably handy that I can't use the iPlayer in NZ...keeps than bandwidth costs down that's for sure!

Posted

Well I have to say I learnt something from it! I at least have a basic understanding of them now. It didn't go into great detail J07, which for me was a good thing as it would have gone straight over my head

[/quot

always happy to try and answer any queries Louby, just pm me.

Posted

Thank you John :lol: you might live to regret saying that, and just in case I am going to copy the page and show you it when you say enough is enough :lol:

Posted

oh dear what have I let myself in for!

ask away 'me dear, I'll do my best to give an understandable answer or a link to someone better qualified than me.

Posted

:lol: I wouldn't be so rotten John, I know you are a very busy bee, so shall limit my questions to just 5 a day :lol:

seriously though, thank you :)

Posted

yep go to our set of charts, all there chuck!

I'll do the link in a tic

this is the free zone

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess=

on the Extra version there is a chart with msl and jet stream on the one chart which is very useful

also link to the Wetter charts which have 300mb charts which is where the jet flow is at its strongest on most occasions, so plenty to watch how it develops right out to T+384

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I'm glad they put it on iplayer. I wanted to watch it but it was on a bit late. Nice to learn about the history side of the jet.