Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

British glaciers

The wear valley I believed was formed by glaciation and looking from up high in the hills the horse shoe shape is quite distinct.Could more knowledgeable members explain to me the answer to these questions.

A,did the glacier follow an already river formed route?

B,what was the origin of the glacier?

C,I believe I read somewhere that the river Wear was originaly north of the now more northerly Tyne,is this correct?

Thank you in advance. :(

Edited by hannegan

Posted

Wikipedia has a little information on it if that helps.

northwards from Chester-le-Street, the Wear may have originally followed the current route of the lower River Team

I cannot not be specific about the river Wear but rivers tend to form where there are specific weaknesses in the rock structure. Equally glaciers tend to follow the same weaknesses. As to what was the orrigin then that depends on how you interpret the question. Typically glacier formation occurs in combs or high valleys (look for a horseshoe shape end to a valley) and makes its way downhill, but in this case it would be hard to argue whether the glacier formed in situ or was a result of the ice cap spreading south from the north.

Perhaps others with more knowledge on this may be able to help.

Posted
The wear valley I believed was formed by glaciation and looking from up high in the hills the horse shoe shape is quite distinct.Could more knowledgeable members explain to me the answer to these questions.

A,did the glacier follow an already river formed route?

B,what was the origin of the glacier?

C,I believe I read somewhere that the river Wear was originaly north of the now more northerly Tyne,is this correct?

Thank you in advance. :yahoo:

Link to geology of N Pennines.

http://www.northpennines.org.uk/getmedia.cfm?mediaid=868

Last glaciation

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/915/1/clarkcd2.pdf

A, yes the ice would have followed a pre existing valley.

B The highest parts of N Pennines are believed to remained above the ice in last glaciation forcing the ice to flow from Scotland and at times from the Lake District through the Stainmore gap. Local ice is believed to have formed to East of Cross Fell/Upper Tees area and flowed down the Wear and Tees Valleys.

C The change in River wears flow is further down stream.

From natural England website,

Glaciation also altered drainage patterns, by blocking the original route of the river Wear north, causing it to divert eastwards cutting a new channel through the Magnesian Limestone Plateau to flow into the North Sea at Sunderland. The abandoned course of the pre-glacial Wear is now occupied by the diminutive river Team in the Team valley at Gateshead.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Link to geology of N Pennines.

http://www.northpennines.org.uk/getmedia.cfm?mediaid=868

Last glaciation

http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/915/1/clarkcd2.pdf

A, yes the ice would have followed a pre existing valley.

B The highest parts of N Pennines are believed to remained above the ice in last glaciation forcing the ice to flow from Scotland and at times from the Lake District through the Stainmore gap. Local ice is believed to have formed to East of Cross Fell/Upper Tees area and flowed down the Wear and Tees Valleys.

C The change in River wears flow is further down stream.

From natural England website,

Glaciation also altered drainage patterns, by blocking the original route of the river Wear north, causing it to divert eastwards cutting a new channel through the Magnesian Limestone Plateau to flow into the North Sea at Sunderland. The abandoned course of the pre-glacial Wear is now occupied by the diminutive river Team in the Team valley at Gateshead.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Thank you very much for that Tucco and Brickfielder- very much appreciated info :D