Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flying Ant Day

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hi all,

Today in Brighton it is flying ant day! I think this seems earlier than usual. Normally the ants appear later in the season and also later in the day. Today there has been a mass exodus around 10am in cloudy skies with the sun trying to break through around 22C. Does any one know what the ideal conditions are for this mass reproductive cycle to start?

I remember a couple of years ago when I was in Northampton for the weekend that all the flying ants emerged shortly before a tremendous thunderstorm. Surely this wasn't good timing?

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yeah, I noticed tonnes of them on my lunch break yesterday in Taunton. Must be the humidity and warmth.

Posted

I'm sure I recall it happening last year on the first few warm/humid days after the very unsettled/cooler weeks, almost as if the ants were partying in response!

They were about late this morning in the place where I was working but no sign of them at home yet, and we have a huge nest in the back lawn!

Posted

The young Lords and I were sitting having a picnic in a local park around lunchtime today when my friend noticed a nearby tree stump suddenly come alive with ants. They'd gone within an hour, but there are now loads flying in our gardens at home.

It does seem slightly earlier than usual... I associate them more with the end of the summer holidays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Perhaps they know we're not going to get any more good weather after this.

Posted

Just found this article which explains all!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7525028.stm

c

Posted

Have to say that up here in Solihull, I haven't seen any (as yet. But now I've just gone and said that... :whistling: )

To answer Chinomaniac's question. The temperature and humidity need to be correct. I've seen swarms of flying ants as early as mid July over recent years so what is happening now is not unusual. (No Tom Jones singing please!)

Have to say though that I've not seen many moths (not that I want to!) This year. Although bees, bluebottles and other 'in your face whilst sitting outside enjoying a drink or BBQ' insects seem to be in abundance.

Just keep the fly spray handy. :D

Phil.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Friday lunchtime (30th August 2008) in the pub garden (SW London) there were many flying ants - but the thunder took 2 days (today, Sunday) to arrive

I had a nest next to the step last year of ants,I was sitting on the step and all of a sudden a swarm emerged next to my feet..........ant kill powder sorted that dilema lol

Edited by hannegan

• 9 months later...
Posted

The first flying ant day of this year today!

Posted
The first flying ant day of this year today!

Yesterday here, not long before the thunderstorm struck, which isn't necessarily the most sensible time to choose to look for a new nest. More of them today, again, just before it rained. A little early and, worryingly, no swifts chasing them at all.

Posted

Ant Powder Day.

As soon as I see the little flying gits try to invade my breathing space. It's war!! :rolleyes:

Phil. (Anti Ant. "I dunno, invade your home, nick your sugar, infest your cupboards, eat your cakes...").