Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Free Weather radar

Posted

Hey everyone. I stumbled upon a link that may be usefull to folk who dont subscribe to netweather's radar. From what i can make out the data is 15 mins old (not to shabby) & 1km resolution (pretty good) but the beauty of it is that it works with google earth (netweather team please take note!!). This is a really handy tool & is alot more usefull when trying to find locations & pinpoint towns/roads etc...

Now if Netweather could get their act together & transfer there super radar onto google maps & maybe get gps to run with it that'd be such a heplfull advance for people who chase here in the UK.

Here's the link http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Regards

Pete

Edited by Pete the Britt

Posted

We're working on a mapping solution currently and have been for some time - it's been the most requested item on the radar for a while now! We hope to include it in the next update of the system (V5) which shouldn't be *too* far off...

The joy of the netweather radar is that you're getting 5 minute updates, lightning detection, live weather overlays, gfs overlays, rain/sleet/snow detection, scale options and so on, which makes it a unique package and a lot more than just a radar.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Might be free but i gladly pay under 50p a week for the brilliant NW 5 min radar even though

its took up to now for the new north-east england radar to be in operation (at least i think it is,

resolution seem to be better than it was a few weeks ago) anyway it supposed to be up and running

by the end of October after testing and ive heard that doppler is to be introduced within the next couple of years

cant wait.!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, it's one of those areas where you get what you pay for. There are plenty of good free radars out there, but as a general rule they lack many of the features of radars that you can get via subscription such as the N-W radar. I'd also like to mention (as it's as good a place as any to say so) that the N-W "precipitation type" feature is vastly improved from how it was when it was first introduced- these days it's a pretty decent guide. The storm detection overlay is also a very useful feature if you want to track approaching storms.

Incidentally I used to find the radar on the BBC Weather website very good before they changed the graphics, but it's one of the things that seems to have lost a lot of detail since the transition.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Incidentally I used to find the radar on the BBC Weather website very good before they changed the graphics, but it's one of the things that seems to have lost a lot of detail since the transition.

Agreed. The BBC one used to be as good as the Met Office version, but the new graphics saw it become more cartoon-like and very generalised. Bring back ye olde weather symbols! :)

Edited by nick2702

Posted

I've got the Radar subscription on NW and its by far the most useful radar I've ever found - by an even bigger marging if the mapping mentioned above is implemented. It is a real bargain, £23.95 is a brilliant deal especially in the coming months - you get lots of rain in this country and periods of prolongued/weeks of dry are quite rare. Definitely worth it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, the N-W radar seems to have stalled at 23:25 for now, and the free ones seem stuck at 23:15.

Just as I posted that- N-W Extra updated for 23:55!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

We're working on a mapping solution currently and have been for some time - it's been the most requested item on the radar for a while now! We hope to include it in the next update of the system (V5) which shouldn't be *too* far off...

The Net Weather Extra radar is excellent as it stands but if you can sort out the mapping and retain the current resolution there would be nothing to touch it, short of working in the forecasting room at Exeter.