Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Lightning damage to Vantage Pro

Posted

A BIG storm passed over North London on Sunday with a lot of rain and a lot of lightning. Well, my next door neighbour's house was struck by lightning and they are now currently digging up their kitchen to try and get power back to their house. For myself, two rather expensive TVs, a computer and a DAB radio are now useless. I wasn't in the house at the time but my brother likened the sound to a terrorist bomb and cowered on the floor (how he knows what one sounds like is beyond me) :)

My roof mounted anemometer must have been about 4-5 meters from the strike but is mostly OK. The only problem is now the wind direction is stuck on 14 degrees and the lithium battery powering the main unit has been destroyed.

Does anyone how easy the wind vane on a Davis Vantage Pro is to fix/replace?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
A BIG storm passed over North London on Sunday with a lot of rain and a lot of lightning. Well, my next door neighbour's house was struck by lightning and they are now currently digging up their kitchen to try and get power back to their house. For myself, two rather expensive TVs, a computer and a DAB radio are now useless. I wasn't in the house at the time but my brother likened the sound to a terrorist bomb and cowered on the floor (how he knows what one sounds like is beyond me) ;)

My roof mounted anemometer must have been about 4-5 meters from the strike but is mostly OK. The only problem is now the wind direction is stuck on 14 degrees and the lithium battery powering the main unit has been destroyed.

Does anyone how easy the wind vane on a Davis Vantage Pro is to fix/replace?

You could contact Munro and see if they repair it or just buy a new one. Cost will probably be the same http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/davis_6410.html

Now if you can't go on the roof yourself getting someone to do it is now very tricky. Most companies won't do the job as they aren't insured so your looking for an individual which again is tricky.

Edited by The PIT