Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mushrooms and toadstools

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Found this underneath the tree outside my house this morning. Does anyone know what it is please?

Its a Russula, probably the Sickener, looks lovely.

Needless to say don't let anyone eat it :(

Russula's are a large group of fungi, some are edible but some are quite poisonous, they all look similar. The rule with Russula's is don't eat unless you are with a true expert.

I have eaten some nice purple looking ones with Romanian Gypsies, very tasty, but we had to cook them in hot pig fat with lots of salt to get the poison out...

Regards,

Russ

Posted
Azores Hi is your man, but he's on holiday this week. I see that all this wet weather is actually good for something: CLICKY

Those look the same type as what as in my picture, except mine isn't fully open. There are some others next to the one I took

a picture of, and they look identical to the ones in the article you posted :(

Posted
Has anyone seen any magic mushrooms yet this year? I might go for a walk tomorrow to see if I can find any.

You gotta be joking? Each to their own I suppose but I wouldn't want to repeat my experiences of yore. Utterly mind-melting but simply far too intense and potentially terrifying to the point of being life changing. I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole now but looking back I'm glad I experienced something so far-out. I'm tempted to say everyone should do them just the once,but I shan't! Are 'shrooms' out yet? I assume so,since last week whilst down the fields there was hordes of hippy types wandering amongst the short grass,clutching a carrier bag apiece!

Posted
Well, I don't know my fungi, but I know for sure I wouldn't want to be slicing this with my egg and bacon in the morning...........;-)

post-3541-1220953214_thumb.jpg

Paul

No,you wouldn't! Looks like Amanita Muscaria -the famous fly agaric which contains loads of highly hallucinogen alkaloids. Apparently,only a small piece of the cap is necessary to induce visions. I believe they were a constituent in the 'flying ointment' of witches of old! A full one would probably be fatal, almost all members of the Amanita genus being incredibly toxic. The Death Cap (Amanita Phalloides) is probably the most poisonous fungus in the UK (if not the world?).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I found a mushroom today and I didn't have a camera or I would have taken a picture of it and as yet I have no idea what it was!

It was about 3 inches across, on a stalk only 2 inches high. The cap was flat with slightly upturned edges and it was an irridescent coppery-browny colour with orange gills. I wasn't going to risk taking it back home and frying it in butter until I was 100% sure what it was.

Posted
I found a mushroom today and I didn't have a camera or I would have taken a picture of it and as yet I have no idea what it was!

It was about 3 inches across, on a stalk only 2 inches high. The cap was flat with slightly upturned edges and it was an irridescent coppery-browny colour with orange gills. I wasn't going to risk taking it back home and frying it in butter until I was 100% sure what it was.

If in doubt,leave it out! Whilst it's true that there are more harmless fungi than poisonous ones,it doesn't follow that you would actually want to eat the harmless ones. The ones which are palatable and tasty fall into a very select band!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
If in doubt,leave it out! Whilst it's true that there are more harmless fungi than poisonous ones,it doesn't follow that you would actually want to eat the harmless ones. The ones which are palatable and tasty fall into a very select band!

I have just done a little bit of research and it turns out it was:

http://www.mushrooms.org.uk/displayprods.a...ulvum&mid=9

The inedible Birch Night Cap.

(p.s. excellent website that one)