Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Want to know what its like to be in the eye of a hurricane?

Posted

Then go on a flight with the hurricane hunters!!

http://www.hurricanehunters.com/cyber1.html

Strap in and enjoy your cyber flight.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

My brother goes to sea and on the odd occasion we meet up with some of his old sea-dogs and

one particular old man (in his 70's now) told me the time they were caught up in a hurricane in the mid

atlantic back in the 50's and he told me when the eye passed over them it became very still and

extremely eerie he said the sea became calm apart from columns of water about 10-15ft tall rising

out of the water and plopping back down, very strange, i've never heard of this phenomena before,

perhaps he might have had a little to much rum (was allowed back in those days!!) Then he told me

they tried to stay within the eye for as long as they could but had to face the onslaught as they would

have sailed off course i asked him what was the full fury of the storm like and he just said i've been in

worse conditions in the North sea but it was still pretty bad.

Posted
asked him what was the full fury of the storm like and he just said i've been in

worse conditions in the North sea but it was still pretty bad.

That sounds odd. You'd never get hurricane force winds in the North Sea, except in gusts, so the sea state would never approach that of a hurricane. However, if there were a big swell, combined with strong winds I guess they could be similarly nasty.

Posted

There was a well documented wave in the north sea that reached around 80ft in the winter of 81', an oil rig

measured this as it approched the platform, my brother was there at the time and he said it registered on the radar

and the 1st mate thought at first that it was the rig that they were goin to hit until the wave came into view, my brother

has sailed in most seas and said when the North sea gets rough its up there with the very best, on one occasion a wave hit his

ship and knocked the bulkhead 18" in.!!

Posted

The North Sea is very shallow, which would explain why it gets so bad.

Also, Hurricanes occur in the tropics, whilst a storm in the North Sea would be quite a bit colder, especially in winter!

Steve M