Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Help on the canon range

Guest Ghost

Hi all

Been looking for a canon camera, and after a good look around finding out what camera's can do what, I still cannot make my mind up?

Can you help please, with telling me whats your take on…

400D / 450D / 40D

The money not really a prob, but I don't see the point in me paying about £400 more for the 40D if im not going to get anything from it that I can get from the 450D?

The only thing I can see better from the 40D if the 6 frame per sec burst. Where the 450d is only 3 fps.

Please will you say where you'd spend your money and why?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

First of all, are you new to photography? If so then i would not bother with the 40D yet, i'm using a 400D and i still havent reached its limits!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I got the 40D as my first SLR. Very confusing to start with and for me, I'd probably have been better with a 400d or so, spending the extra money on a top notch lens! Still, I cannot complain at all about the camera as it is an absolute beauty. I just don't think my photography skills really do it justice at the moment :o If you are going to be using the camera hardcore (no... not for dirty images..... :lol: ) and think you have the skills it takes to make the best out of it, by all means go for the 40d!

BTW, for me, it was the decision between a 40D with Wide angle Lens (Sigma 10-20mm) and a mid range fixed lens (Canon F1.8 50mm) or the same lenses on a 400d with a reasonable spec Telepohoto lens for a similar price. I didn't have the need for a telephoto lens at the time so went for the 40d. I'll be splashing out on a new lens next birthday just in time for the 2009 chase season ;) Both would have been about £1K at the time which was my budget.

Edited by Gorky

Posted

I think the 40D (and any double digit D) has a better build quality than a triple digit D. Feels less plasticky, more solid. The shutter is supposed to last longer.

As most people say though, lenses are where it's at. From a quality lens, a mediocre camera will provide a very good shot. But on a poor lens (the ones that come bundled), even a top notch camera will not give you great shots.

Thanks for the replies

I been into /enjoying photography for years, had a film SLR years ago but sold it.

Had a break, then just bought a Canon IXUS 430 a few years back.

I think it's a awesome camera, but now im wanting lenses and a faster camera for wildlife

I got the 40D as my first SLR. Very confusing to start with and for me, I'd probably have been better with a 400d

This is what im thinking, walk before I can run.

Posted

Hello Ghost me ol' mucker,

When Joe got my 40D the 450D wasn't available, so don't really know much about it, but one thing is the build of the body, I know the 400D has a plastic type body where as the 40D has magnesium alloy body and weather sealed and also the 40D came with a better lens so look out for what lens comes with it. Also if you are planning to do more wildlife (and carp don't coun't coz they is slow ish :lol: ) you might appreciate that faster shutter speed, might just help you get that shot.

probably isn't helpful at all :lol:

As for learning the controls of the 40D have to say I found them a damn site easier than the Nikon.

Thanks lou..

Ok will keep this on one thread…..

I will be looking for a good lens… can you recommend good Macro lens please and is a zoom lens just the bigger the better?

Thanks

Posted
Thanks lou..

Ok will keep this on one thread…..

I will be looking for a good lens… can you recommend good Macro lens please and is a zoom lens just the bigger the better?

Thanks

Hi Ghost, I use the canon range for my wildlife photography. I used to have a canon 350D with a kit lens (a superb lens!) which was a brilliant and relatively cheap camera package, however after a while I decided that if I wanted to get the wildlife shots I was after I would have to invest in new glass (lens) and camera body. After reading up for months and coming to realise that the glass was more important than the camera I looked into what Len's would suit the wildlife I wanted to photograph.

As I like insects of all kinds I decided that I would purchase the canon 100mm macro to capture these shots, next was deciding what zoom to get for the bird shots and other general animals. This was a hard choice! I looked at all len's in this range and read stupid amounts about each one. In the end I opted for the canon L 400mm prime, this len's is a sometimes overlooked one due tto it being a prime but is razor sharp and damn cheap for what you get. most people in my position tend to opt for the canon L 100-400mm. However I decided that I did not need the zoom range as even 400mm is never enough :doh: (especially for birds!) the prime optically is the sharper len's and I did not like the push and pull of the 100-400mm zoom. Sorted.

Next I turned my attention to camera body's, yes more research! I settled on the 40D primarily for the fast shutter speed (very handy for bird in flight shots) and its build quality as with being into wildlife photography you can get down and dirty and you dont want the cam breaking on location!

If you would like to see the results so far please take a look at my website Visit My Website you will get a better idea of what these combinations can do. Please keep in mind I am still learning and have only been inti photography for a year and a few months.

Hope this helps

Posted
Please keep in mind I am still learning and have only been inti photography for a year and a few months.
:D B)

Actually I should thank you for you last post, as my next purchase is going to be a macro, I got some cheapy addons which are great for what I payed for them, didn't initially want to pay out for a marco if I didn't like doing that sort of photography, but as it happens I do. So thanks Slinkydoo, have a scooby snack and a pat on the back for that :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

All of the above is fine re 40/450d etc. But with the advent of the 5dmk2 (shops launch November)there will be plenty of secondhand 5d's about with an asking price of £5/800.

If anybody wants a swap I have a spare 5d with battery grip :D Canon 400 f5.6L is accepted swap material for instance. B)

Alternatives in the L Lens range, of varying magnifications considered.

Louby, please delete my swap if it is not allowed. "Ta" and "Sorry" at the same time :D

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
All of the above is fine re 40/450d etc. But with the advent of the 5dmk2 (shops launch November)there will be plenty of secondhand 5d's about with an asking price of £5/800.

If anybody wants a swap I have a spare 5d with battery grip :D Canon 400 f5.6L is accepted swap material for instance. :)

Alternatives in the L Lens range, of varying magnifications considered.

Louby, please delete my swap if it is not allowed. "Ta" and "Sorry" at the same time :)

Regards,

Russ

Russ if I had a spare L 400mm then it would be a done deal, however I dont and I would rather sell my soul then me L :D I must admit I do like the look of the new 5D *dribbles*

I am not going to ask why you have a spare 5D either, my theory is your just greedy hehe

What lens do you have Russ? I need some info on the 10-22mm canon USM as thinking about getting one, if you or anyone else owns one let me know what its like please?