Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Red Damselfly

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not the best quality, but these damselflies where very frequent today, I even got the chance to hold one.

2868627496_94dd3886e5_b.jpg

2867793369_3ace8edb21_b.jpg

Posted

I think that's a Scarlet Darter Stephen. Damselflies tend to have their wings laying along the length of their body not held out as this one is.

Nice shots anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I thought Scarlet Darters were rare migrants to Britain and completely red? I would go for either a Common or Ruddy Darter though I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Could well have been a darter, but it was very small, in my experience damselflies tend to be smaller than dragonflies. If it was dragonfly it was certainly out of place here, because the record of local dragonflies certainly doesnt have a red dragonfly. The only resemblance is with the red damselfly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Could well have been a darter, but it was very small, in my experience damselflies tend to be smaller than dragonflies. If it was dragonfly it was certainly out of place here, because the record of local dragonflies certainly doesnt have a red dragonfly. The only resemblance is with the red damselfly.

Well it's definately a dragonfly, some dragonflies can be very small such as the Black Darter. I'm suprised your local area hasn't recorded a Common Darter as I think they're one the most common dragonflies.

Going by the British dragonfly society website, Common Darters are 38-43mm in length does that sound about right?

Edited by James M

Posted
Well it's definately a dragonfly, some dragonflies can be very small such as the Black Darter. I'm suprised your local area hasn't recorded a Common Darter as I think they're one the most common dragonflies.

Going by the British dragonfly society website, Common Darters are 38-43mm in length does that sound about right?

Ive just looked, common darter is definitely it. They are rare around here though (despite being called a common darter), and theyre are not a recorded species around these parts.

Posted
I thought Scarlet Darters were rare migrants to Britain and completely red? I would go for either a Common or Ruddy Darter though I'm not sure how to tell the difference between the two.

They seem to turn up relatively often in southern England. My fault for not looking at Stephens location. Common darter it is then.

• 1 month later...