Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Favourite Weather Event Of 2008

Posted

Really not a great deal to chose from. Last winter in Lancashire really was awful, the only worse one I have experienced was the one before! Spring was cool but nothing overly memorable. Summer was a write off and although Autumn was nippy by modern standards most of the snow passed this area by. So that leaves me with December. Got some reasonable snow at the start of the month but it was generally wet and the best stuff was restricted to 200m +. So, by default, my favourite weather of 2008 was/is the current cold snap which delivered fantastic clear weather whilst I was up home in Cumbria, and some notable frosts too.

Edited by trickydicky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Winter: Very poor, nothing "favourite" here.

Spring: Has to be the April snowfall, best snow of the autumn/winter/spring of 2007/08.

Summer: Very poor again, nothing of note apart from the lack of sunshine.

Autumn: The October snowfall, will probably never see anything like it again.

Overall it has to be the incredible October snowfall, I didn't get that much but the south east did.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mixed winters and springs, thundery summers and meditteranean autumns

For me, the 13 cm of snow on the morning of 6th April, the prolonged evening thunderstorms of 28th July, and the 3 cm of snow on 28th October, followed by another slushy covering in the late evening of 29th October - so a double whammy from a rare event!

Also the wierd, rather blinding white and pink skies at dusk for 3 or 4 evenings in February, which was a brilliantly sunny month, then a couple of days later, freezing fog producing heavy rime and very fine ice crystals in the air, like a very fine snow.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A very difficult year with Sheffield missing out on most interesting weather. Got sick of seeing rain bands/ snow bands / storms fading away as they got to Sheffield only to rebuild again afterwards. So I'll go for the sunny warm may spell that promised a decent summer that never was.

Posted

The March snow event was quite good but it's got to be the October event. :wacko:

A real surprise event, i was up Milton Keynes it started snowing about 6pm till 8 pm then the next morning drove to work past St Albans down to london and on the way there the snow was brilliant, lots of snow but got stuck on the M1 for an hour just travelling 2 junctions because of the snow and when i drove back up the motorway towards St Albans the snow was still around till about Saturday. :clap:

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As Mark-forster mentioned, the 6th April snowfall was also the most memorable event for me....'Saucy Sid' the snowman was in his element....lol

sm111.jpg

Posted
EVENT OF THE SPRING: This is a hard one as there is a tie between the snow on April 6th and the massive thunderstorm on May 9th. I would have to say both - April 6th because of the rarity of snow here in April or at all nowadays and May 9th because of the length of the thunderstorm and simply amazing lightning display that lasted from 8.30pm to about 11.30pm.

However did I forget that when posting yesterday :o !

Posted

The sun coming out on the Friday of Glastonbury after the rain over Thursday night. I was dreading another mudbath and within hours everything was dry, sun was shining and all was right with the world. What's more, it lasted the rest of the weekend.

Posted

Ive really had to think about this one, as 2008 contained mostly boring, benign weather. Winter was appauling, with just 1 day of lying snow in January (well 3hrs) which itself was totally frostless. Spring was very interesting though. The snowfall on Easter Sunday is probably the most memorable, giving 4cm - the deepest since January 2004. The snowfall in April was good aswell, giving a good centimeter. The same month saw a good Tstorm show at the end. Then came the May warm spell around my birthday, that was particularly pleasant. Summer was appauling once again and although Autumn was much better, we missed out on a frost or any snow in October, with just a light covering towards the end of November. December although cold was a complete write-off, with below average frosts and no snow. It was just cold, cloudy and miserable.

So my favourite weather event of 2008 is probably the easter snowfall, though the year was actually memorable for being very wet (975mm rainfall compared to the average of 565mm).

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

My favourite weather event of 2008 is the closing cold spell of October 2008. B)