Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Best Wrong Forecast

Posted

I remember the 9th of Feb 2007 too. All it meant here though was what was forecast to be a bit of rain skirting with the south coast turned out to be a very wet day with heavy rain causing localised flooding while in the evening I watched the news reports of more heavy snow further north... lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

One that sticks in my memory is the forecast at the end of April 1981 which suggested rain and sleet, perhaps with a covering of slushy snow on high ground.

What we actually got was 3 days of almost continuous blizzard conditions and 60cm of level snow by the end of the 26th. This spell also gave me the latest ice day in over 40 years of records.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

To be fair the real casualties are not the long range forecasts, but instead it's the short range forecast, the day before job, if that's wrong it's a real embarrassment.

Also I am of the firm belief if someone over advertises their long range forecasts, or they themselves claim they are right etc it's not worth reading the forecast because they have not subjected it to balance and criticism. I will never read a forecast that is self proclaimed by whoever..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Iremember in feb 1978 going to school in lashings of rain and wind and the forecast was basiclly windy , mild and rainy.Came home from school and after the news i think it was Jack Scott doing the forecast and his first comment was"forget everything in the atlantic".The forecast then showed freezing easterlies coming in "which they did" and winter arrived with bitter weather and snow. :):)