Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Studying Further At University

Posted

Hi all.

I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree and am loving every minute of it. I have held a keen interest in the weather for most of my life, hence why I'm on here. :p I'd class myself as a 'moderate amatuer' when it comes to the weather but am very keen to develop myself further.

What I'm interested in is what is out there for someone in my position who would be willing to study fulltime to generate a much deeper knowledge of meteorology. Starting a new degree would unfortunately be out of the question.

I have seen mentioned a module in the Open University related to the weather. Can anyone recommend this? Would it delve deep enough into the subject or just cover the basics?

Can anyone vouch for the University of Reading's PostGrad diplomas in meteorology? If I'm lucky I may be accepted here.

Is there anything else out there?

Thanks

Mikel Nimbus

Posted
Hi all.

I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree and am loving every minute of it. I have held a keen interest in the weather for most of my life, hence why I'm on here. :lol: I'd class myself as a 'moderate amatuer' when it comes to the weather but am very keen to develop myself further.

What I'm interested in is what is out there for someone in my position who would be willing to study fulltime to generate a much deeper knowledge of meteorology. Starting a new degree would unfortunately be out of the question.

I have seen mentioned a module in the Open University related to the weather. Can anyone recommend this? Would it delve deep enough into the subject or just cover the basics?

Can anyone vouch for the University of Reading's PostGrad diplomas in meteorology? If I'm lucky I may be accepted here.

Thanks

Mikel Nimbus

I don't really know to be honest except that Reading has a good reputation for Meteorology, Perhaps John might know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The universities of Reading, Leeds, UEA, Manchester and Birmingham are all pretty good for meteorology. Edinburgh, Lancaster and Newcastle offer a limited amount of meteorology, and Exeter is starting up meteorology courses as well. Thus you actually have a surprisingly wide choice.

Posted
Hi all.

I'm currently in my second year of a Computer Science degree and am loving every minute of it. I have held a keen interest in the weather for most of my life, hence why I'm on here. :( I'd class myself as a 'moderate amatuer' when it comes to the weather but am very keen to develop myself further.

Thanks

Mikel Nimbus

I would make inquiries with the Uni you are studying with at the moment. The replies others have given all show that there are good courses, but full time, at various Uni's around the country. Your request is to study additionally to what you are doing not start another Uni course.

I would suspect that the OU is perhaps the best option and that can be tailored to your needs and capabilities, up to a similar standard to what you might get at say Reading if you so wish.

hope that helps

Failing that contact UK Met on their web site, explain what you want to do and ask their advice.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I'm just about to graduate from undergrad met at Reading uni in june, It's a great degree, the stuff i've learned there will really help in my future career and there's some very clever people there however at the same time I won't exactly be leaving with fond memories, the departments idea of fun is a few games of croquet and a once per term pub crawl that never goes to plan... meh!!!

Posted
I'm just about to graduate from undergrad met at Reading uni in june, It's a great degree, the stuff i've learned there will really help in my future career and there's some very clever people there however at the same time I won't exactly be leaving with fond memories, the departments idea of fun is a few games of croquet and a once per term pub crawl that never goes to plan... meh!!!

Ha! The world of science! You learn fairly quickly that departmental social events are hits or misses. Some faculties always seem to do a good job of it (vets, medics...), whilst others (maths...speaking from personal experience....) are pretty much sinkers everytime!