Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Grasp Of Winter?

It has been quite chilly in Stockholm the past days,

and as we are nearing the end of March it seems that this month has been quite cool

due to this spell and prolonged snow cover nearly during the whole month.

And as whole it doesn't seem that we will get to double figures, quite unusal for March!

The 25th of March I took a walk down to the local beach to take some photographs,

and this is the result!

2008_2424.jpg

Very chilly morning this day with -11°c, and at day very steady at 0°c.

2008_2428.jpg

This was taken approx. 30 min before sunset, and the snow is shining at the ice.

2008_2431.jpg

A view away from the beach.

2008_2433.jpg

We got a small dusting of snow the 23rd, but due to wind much blowed away!

2008_2436.jpg

Very shiny!

2008_2437.jpg

No signs of ice breaking up! The ice became quite thick during this winter due to

lack of big snow cover but quite normal temps. So i assume that the ice is still

20 cm thick, enough for take a walk or drive to the nearby island by car! :yahoo:

But now really the first warm high pressure will seem to reach Stockholm, and that

will probably result in the first 10°c or above with sunshine. That will probably make

a significant break up of the ice in the beginning of April!

Posted

some really nice shots there, thank you, enjoy your spring when it comes

Posted

Great pics Sillkalven. Wish we'd had a colder March over here this year after the coldest Winter in 13 years.

Posted

Fantastic shots Sillkalven.

Thank you very much for sharing them with us.

It's great to see such wintryness still well established into March, even with the higher angle of the sun now.

Many thanks again.

Regards,

Mark. :D

Posted

Great shots, 20cm deep ice :rofl: sounds very cool :yahoo: , when the lake near me froze it was only 5-10cm thick and i though that was decent.

Do people go ice skating or are there anyeinter sports on the frozen water?

Yes of course! :lol: We do have ice skating competions on the ice every year, and many people enjoy that. :) But that depends of course of how rough the winter really is, this one was quite okey, and therefore it got quite thick, but last year, in 2008, it was impossible. The avg. temp. during the whole winter was extremely high, problably one of the highest in 200 years, and it was never possible to go on the ice!