Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Painted Lady Influx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I havent seen any around here but have seen a fair few Cabbage Whites. Bees seem to be doing OK to :wallbash:

Posted

Saw two Painted Ladys this afternoon while working at Milnathort, Kinrosshire.

One looked a bit frayed as if it had travelled a good distance, the other one didn't look as if it had suffered quite so much but obviously hadn't just emerged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

They've also been seen laying on nettles haven't they? Hopefully the weather will play ball and we get a bumper brood later in the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
Saw one of those Hummingbird Hawkmoth thingies flying past out on the common yesterday ... stunning things and quite colourful - look very much like minnature birds.

smashing insects them! .... theres also a migration of clouded yellows, like in 83 and 95, 2 summers that turned out to be scorchers!

Posted
smashing insects them! .... theres also a migration of clouded yellows, like in 83 and 95, 2 summers that turned out to be scorchers!

Apologies for slightly hijacking the butterfly thread, but has anyone else in other areas noticed how many Greenfly there are this year? They've been around in vast numbers for over a fortnight now - I thought it may be just around here, but went to Rugby/Northampton at the weekend & it was the same there.

Rob, have you noticed it while out working?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yep seems to be hundreds of Greenfly this year - highly annoying when you are trying to eat outdoors.

Posted
Apologies for slightly hijacking the butterfly thread, but has anyone else in other areas noticed how many Greenfly there are this year? They've been around in vast numbers for over a fortnight now - I thought it may be just around here, but went to Rugby/Northampton at the weekend & it was the same there.

Rob, have you noticed it while out working?

no probs, threads evolve :rolleyes:

yes i have noticed alot of greenfly, so beware, a ladybird explosion could well be on the way soon (as in 76)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've seen several Painted Ladies in roughly the same spot on the moor behind the house over the past week. It's a few years since I saw one in this area, July 2003 was, I think,the last time there were any number of them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I finally saw one Painted Lady on Sunday! it was very very battered you would scarcely regonise what it was.

Edited by James M

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

had a humingbird hawk moth feeding on honeysuckle on wednesday morning :D a first in my garden...

pity there no decent hot spell coming up to bring out the butterflies/moths

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Saw a Painted Lady patrolling the footpath above the house last Saturday when it was sunny and warm. Then again yesterday afternoon when the weather was somewhat bright. Sparkly fresh, so newly hatched I think. So maybe the new broods are out now. It was guarding the large patch of knapweed. This always attracts butterflies and bees. I wonder where butterflies go when there are days of heavy rain? And is it true that this new batch of Painted Ladies just feed and fade away, never to migrate south like swallows. Such a shame.

Posted

There are loads of Painted Ladys here in Swindon.Never before have i noticed so many, they are the most common butterfly in my garden this year. :lol:

had a humingbird hawk moth feeding on honeysuckle on wednesday morning :) a first in my garden...

pity there no decent hot spell coming up to bring out the butterflies/moths

I haven't seen a hummingbird hawk moth in my garden for 2 years now.Fantastic creatures.