Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Zealand Weather

Posted

Another cold outbreak heading our way.

We've been in a warm situation for a few days now, with nationwide highs hitting 20C at times in the north. Dewpoints have been as high as 16C up there, making it more autumnal than wintry.

Warning for heavy snow down south:

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING.

ISSUED BY MetService AT 8:04 pm 14-Jun-2009

MEDIA

HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED FOR SOUTHLAND, SOUTH OTAGO AND DUNEDIN

An episode of very cold showery conditions is spreading onto southern New

Zealand and should persist well into Tuesday. In Southland, south Otago and

Dunedin, snow is expected to develop to low levels on Monday, although initially,

no large accumulations are expected.However, on Monday evening, snow is expected

to lower to sea level,and a burst of heavy snow is likely overnight Monday to

Tuesday.During Tuesday, snow levels should rise slowly, as the activity eases.

These conditions are expected to cause disruption to many roads.Strong or even

gale force southwest winds about exposed coastal areas and the hills, are likely

to lead to blizzard conditions with heavy drifting snow and very low wind chill

temperatures.

FOR THE LATEST WEATHER AND FORECAST CHARTS PLEASE GO TO

http://metservice.com

MORE DETAILED INFORMATION FOR EMERGENCY MANAGERS AND TECHNICAL USERS FOLLOWS:

HEAVY SNOW WARNING

AREA/S AFFECTED: SOUTHLAND SOUTH OTAGO AND DUNEDIN

FORECAST:

In the 42 hours from 3am Monday through to 9pm Tuesday, up to 25cm of snow could

accumulate above 200 metres. Lighter falls are expected down to sea level,where

2 to 5cm could accumulate during this period.

Heaviest falls are expected between 6pm Monday and 3am Tuesday, when

up to 15cm of snow could fall above 200 metres. Blizzard conditions

and heavy drifting snow can be expected in places.

Posted

I saw a forecast on the BBC that Auckland is to get lows this week down to 1C. Is this likely? As I thought the record low there was 4C? :rolleyes:

Posted

I think in the 1960s, Auckland Airport managed to get down to -3C. How, I don't know. Tomorrow night looks like the cold one for them. They get cold nights when there is a southerly flow (cold, dry air off the central plateau) and then the southerly dies overnight leading to plunging temperatures. In that case not even their strong oceanic influence can save them.

Tonight won't be all that cold, tomorrow is the one to watch :rolleyes:

Wellington historically is milder than Auckland. Lowest temperature here ever is -2C, and that was back in the 1920s. Coldest day ever still managed to reach 5C.

Currently, at 11PM the coldest place is Waiouru on -6C and the warmest Cape Reinga on 10C.

Posted

Thanks for that :rolleyes: Do you know how cold it got in Auckland in the end? (last night) It amazes me how varied the climate is in New Zealand, from north to south, for a country that isn't that large...

Posted

I think they got to 2C at the airport, but no doubt lower away from the sea. This high is very slow moving. Auckland's forecast for the next 5 days is "Fine with light winds (or southerly breezes), with highs of 13C and cold clear nights with frosts in sheltered parts. That's perfect winter weather if you ask me!

NZ is a little larger than the UK, but it is "longer" and so that probably contributes to the variation. Other factors are the more extreme terrain, the speed of depressions to our south, and that both the polar jet and subtropical jet have direct affects on our weather.

Posted

Indeed, the far north of New Zealand's climate is near sub-tropical, infact I seem to recall an Island a way off the coast having a coconut wash up on its shore & grow into a good sized coconut palm! Though I believe it has now died...

Parts of the south Island have a climate very similar to milder parts of the UK, except of course it can get quite a bit hotter in NZ in the summer...

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
Indeed, the far north of New Zealand's climate is near sub-tropical, infact I seem to recall an Island a way off the coast having a coconut wash up on its shore & grow into a good sized coconut palm! Though I believe it has now died...

Parts of the south Island have a climate very similar to milder parts of the UK, except of course it can get quite a bit hotter in NZ in the summer...

I tend to think the biggest difference between the countries is in winter rather than summer.

The warmest summers in NZ are in certain North Island locations that average highs of 26C in January/February. Warmer than SE England for sure but only by a few degrees. In winter the warmer places average highs of 15/16C, which is very different to anywhere in the UK.

Currently a classic mid-winter low heading our way from New Caledonia. Gusts to 82mph so far in the north. Light winds in the south but snow to quite low levels and snow warnings for Porters Pass.

The weatherzone chart is a real picture, showing the influence the sub tropical jet can on us with these lows.

post-7526-1247307331_thumb.jpg

post-7526-1247307574_thumb.jpg

post-7526-1247307617_thumb.png

Posted

At "Channel Island" in the Hauraki Gulf near Auckland, at 3AM this morning sustained winds were 90 mph and gusts were 108 mph. They carried on like that for several hours and eased a few hours ago.