Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Global Village Has Its "village Idiots" - Who Are They?

Posted

There are lots of points and quotes here, I hope that NW people view and listen to the lecture and comment on them. Don't take notice of my silly headline - it takes a quote from the lecture, but does not cover its scope.

LINK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thanks for that Chris, interesting lecture.

I find it surprising that no mention was made of our need to develop alternative technology on the basis that vast fossil fuel consumption will no longer be an option in the future. Whilst cleaner, ecologically sounder energy production is obviously desirable, I think basing the sales pitch for this on "climate change" alone, could lead to problems.

From an ethical/moral stand point, his picture of "large numbers of Africans motivated by desperation swamping our shores" is questionable. I'm not sure promoting racial tensions is wise in a country where a large influx of immigrants in recent years, is already perceived to be a problem.

I understand the apparent underlying fear that Asia will over take us in "where the greatest minds will come from" but I find it hard to swallow the "let's stay in the lead/align ourselves with Obama's America" ideology. We're a tiny nation, which once was great in terms of world influence and power, but let' face it, we achieved that by subjugating vast swathes of the world to do our bidding. Isn't it about time we stopped looking to other nations to bolster us in a "us against them" fashion? EU and the USA versus Asia has all the hallmarks of the cold war era. Any battle against climate change has to include all nations, the Copenhagen talks will achieve nothing if China and India perceive a "ganging up on us, trying to stop us developing" mentality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks for that Chris, interesting lecture.

I find it surprising that no mention was made of our need to develop alternative technology on the basis that vast fossil fuel consumption will no longer be an option in the future. Whilst cleaner, ecologically sounder energy production is obviously desirable, I think basing the sales pitch for this on "climate change" alone, could lead to problems.

Yes, I completely agree. I don't know why most mainstream proponents of AGW continually ignore that point, especially when it implies that we should probably be doing much the same things that we should be doing to address AGW anyway.

Isn't it about time we stopped looking to other nations to bolster us in a "us against them" fashion? EU and the USA versus Asia has all the hallmarks of the cold war era. Any battle against climate change has to include all nations, the Copenhagen talks will achieve nothing if China and India perceive a "ganging up on us, trying to stop us developing" mentality.

Again, a lot of sense in the above. Co-operation is a must if we are to achieve global action- otherwise we might well end up with a lot of fighting and precious little action.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

VP, I'd always assumed you were what the village idiot sits on in villages without a proper village bench.

If you fancy upgrading for the benefit of the community, get your toolbox out and.......

post-384-12504278053273_thumb.gif

:yahoo:

Edited by osmposm