Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Met Office Claims 'barbecue Summer' Prediction Was Right ...

Cheese Rice

Posted

No one to blame but the chief of the forecasting division-his idea to have a power point slide with those words on, then he/and his subordinates then left wondering why the media hyped it up as they did.

The media are not totally to blame for hyping this up, the BBC forecasts hyped this up as well by banging on about.

BBC forecasters work for the Met Office? and their data is supplied by the Met Office so aren't they to blame for hyping this up, indirectly?

Put it this way, the BBC forecasters did not phone up the Sun newspaper to find out what the Met Office summer forecast was, they got it directly from the Met Office, so somebody told them "odds on bbq summer" down the blower.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

the point I was trying to make Kevin was that the press release/meeting was led by the chief forecaster and he alone had the final say over which powerpoint images were displayed.

Yes the media subsequently hyped it up but Ewan has been in the job long enough to know what that type of presentation was going to result in with the media.

IF we read the actual text then it is much more sensible. Why on earth he chose that slide I have not the slightest idea.

Posted

the point I was trying to make Kevin was that the press release/meeting was led by the chief forecaster and he alone had the final say over which powerpoint images were displayed.

Yes the media subsequently hyped it up but Ewan has been in the job long enough to know what that type of presentation was going to result in with the media.

IF we read the actual text then it is much more sensible. Why on earth he chose that slide I have not the slightest idea.

I understand what you are saying and I can see how the media hyped it up from that meeting but that doesn't explain why the BBC forecasts had to join in with the hyping. Was the senior BBC forecaster at the meeting, saw that slide and joined in with the hype?

Posted

I understand what you are saying and I can see how the media hyped it up from that meeting but that doesn't explain why the BBC forecasts had to join in with the hyping. Was the senior BBC forecaster at the meeting, saw that slide and joined in with the hype?

I think what happens is that people get caught up in the hype, BBC forecasters are no longer just the person who reads the forecast they are minor celebs, song and dance routines on children in need etc. It would seem that nobody ever questions the advise given, in truth this is how the media is run, information is parroted out regardless of its validity. This of course is happening in regard AGW, from both side of the debate. Misinformation and spin are being used across the media, TV, newspapers, and the internet. Never mind a METO statement declaring a Barbeque summer that’s jut a piece of hype on top of a forecast and not far out, at least if you live in the SE. Far more sinister and deceptive are the internet sites secretly funded by the oil industry and right wing think tanks pumping out the all is well message, Greenpeace and environmental groups doing the opposite, and the news media mentioning climate change ever time we have a news worthy weather story, as if storms, floods, tornados, etc have never been seen before in the UK. The truth is out there if anyone can find it.

Posted

the senior forecaster at the BBC is quite junior in grade to the chief forecaster let alone to Ewan who is the boss of the lot!

No, Ewan is to blame-the second time in 3-4 years he has put his foot in it so to speak.

Posted

nope

but I'm sure if you search through my posts about the Met O you will find a reference to it!