Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Super Typhoon Melor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Yup, we often forget just where the West Pacific storms go once they have become fully extratropical, and the western US is normally where they end up. In this case, Melor was still pretty strong and packed a punch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Not stupid at all Cookie, and not all storms make it. It's a similar situation to when Atlantic tropical storms turn extratropical and sometimes hit the UK.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

I am in the warm sector of the extra-tropical remnant low ... not much happening, just some light rain and a warmer south wind after a few days of outflow from the massive arctic high covering most of NA. On Tuesday there were some reports of 80 mph gusts near San Francisco CA.

In 1962 on Oct 12-13, there was a much stronger Pacific storm, from the vicinity of Guam, which hit the coast here and in Washington state, and brought the strongest winds ever recorded around here, which brought down large numbers of trees. This is the only case of one of these storms arriving here more or less at hurricane strength. (Freda - 1962). I'm not sure if it was from the typhoon set or from the hurricane set named out of Hawaii, I think it was the latter, but the origin was well to the west of Hawaii. It came in pretty much like the Oct 1987 storm came into southern England, maps at 06z would be comparable (placing my location where London would be) although this storm did not rapidly intensify just before landfall. On the US side it is remembered as the Columbus Day hurricane.