Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moonbows

Posted

I've seen countless halos around the moon; who hasn't? But tonight, as I was driving home, I saw what looked like distant car headlights shining up into the sky, but when I looked closer, I saw they arced back down again. So I stopped, and sure enough, it was a moonbow. I couldn't make out any colours, but with the full moon shining in the sky, and with a shower over me, it was the first time I've ever seen one of these.

Could be a good night judging by the weather conditions so it might be worth popping out and taking a look.

Posted

HI There,

Ive only ever seen two moonbows the second one about 15 years ago I could just see colour in it.Its my ambition to image one along with forked lightning.

Regards Les.

Posted

I did think about trying to take a photo, but it was so faint that I doubt it would have been possible to capture it to any degree. Certainly not like this - Moonbow431x290.jpg

that really is a fabulous photograph-assuming its not some kind of trick photography?

Posted

It possibly is, because what I saw looked nothing like that, and I'd have thought the sky glow behind would have washed out the moonbow in that area.

As for being rare, I've certainly never seen one before, and I spend a lot of time outside at night in the dark. We'll just leave it there though thank you.

Posted

32.gifI shall say nothing.

I have seen what looked like a sundog by the moon earlier this year, didn't have my camera with me, I suppose you would call it a moondog?

have you seen anything like that before?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Nice sighting, I've certainly never seen one. It must be good conditions for them to appear as there's an article on spaceweather featuring a photo taken in Yorkshire last night.

http://www.spaceweather.com/