Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Whining Thread

James M

Posted

I don't mind talk about a 'cold dull drizzly' outlook if that's an accurate reflection of the weather being forecast and an overcast drizzly day with temperatures in single figures, say, (in April) is actually what's expected. Like you, though, I get tired of constant references in weather forecasts and threads that are supposed to be objective to what is 'fantastic', 'good', 'bad', 'dreadful' etc where this is clearly subjective and unqualified (I can live with qualified expressions such as 'a great outlook for snow lovers' in moderation). In my view opinions on the weather are great in threads indended for informal discussion but get tiring when you can't find anywhere in the forum to get away from them.

A rant from me,

Gotta say it doesn't look like there are many are true cold weather fans on the UK weather forums as soon as we get to late January most lose interest in cold as shown by the lack of interest in HP centred over scandinavia keeping southern UK dry and rather cold but in the summer/autumn they love it warm all the way upto end of october even, well sorry to say but spring is a cool season in the UK and like two years ago in mid April 2008 the trees were still bare with cold frosty nights, it take ages to warm up in the UK just like it takes ages to cool down after summer.

I find the public more interested in cold weather than so called cold weather fans, they always tell me its been a nice pleasant winter so far with a real lack of double figures and wet windy weather, this week is good after the kind of Januaries we've had, the snow today in parts you wouldnt get for weeks even months in some winters past since 1988/89.

Posted

I can recall many warm and sunny Aprils. 2007 being one that stands out.

Posted

I can recall many warm and sunny Aprils. 2007 being one that stands out.

That was a lovely April, on a couple of days temperatures reached 26C here. Shame the Summer was so poor though, May Bank Holiday 2007 was a standout for awful weather, about 40 hours of continous rainfall, and very low maximums for May, only reached 8C on that day here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

My rant is about the model discussion thread.

People keep picking the model runs that show what is their preference. With the models as they currently are illustrates this perfectly.

People are saying that they think GFS is more likely because BLAH BLAH BLAH. Which translates to "it is what I want". They then recall a time when the model was last wrong and then give that as a reason to why the model that they don't like is wrong again. Models by their very nature are often wrong but do fall in line at a reasonable time frame.

As a game, for the next few days, see how many posts you read that cover "the models are all over the place at the mo" or " the models cant agree so no one Knows".

We Know that the models are different and that they are not agreeing, what we don't need is loads of people telling us they don't agree and FI or F1 starts in t24. WE KNOW!!!wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Some of the posters on the thread do not fall in the trap off. " nothing to say but want to post anyway so here goes" " I don't know" drinks.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That feels better. oh and I think the models don't know at the mo so i am going with the one I like!!!!!! oops.gifoops.gifoops.gifoops.gifoops.gifoops.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

the thing with the model thread in winter is it is full of people who never frequent the place any other time of the year..and are just looking for cold and snow...it was a real boon when we had the snow becuase the model thread was empty of all the fools and you are left with the real interesting watchers with constructive views of what is being shown..just like during the summer months etc.

i tend not to bother with it most winters because it is an awful place..probably the worst thread on netweather only now been superseeded by the regional cold discussion threads. :nonono:

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

the thing with the model thread in winter is it is full of people who never frequent the place any other time of the year..and are just looking for cold and snow...it was a real boon whe we had the snow becuase the model thread was empty of all the fools and you are left with the real interesting watchers with constructive views of what is being shown..just like during the summer months etc.

i tend not to bother with it most winters because it is an awful place..probably the worst thread on netweather only now been superseeded by the regional cold discussion threads. wallbash.gif

you could always try and post something constructive instead of the criticism of others that typifies nearly all of your own posts??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

you could always try and post something constructive instead of the criticism of others that typifies nearly all of your own posts??

you know what i wasnt even going to reply to such a cheap jibe..but reading some of your comments to other posters on this forum in the past i think words like pot and kettle come to mind...i will say no more on the matter. :yahoo:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

you know what i wasnt even going to reply to such a cheap jibe..but reading some of your comments to other posters on this forum in the past i think words like pot and kettle come to mind...i will say no more on the matter. air_kiss.gif

It wasn't a cheap jibe at all. It was an honest and constructive suggestion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever we get.

Whining about people whining on the whining thread, irony lives...... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

I am absolutely sick of this easterly that is not going to happen, I am hoping that we get a decent northerly in February, and also an easterly has got to be the proper variety with 2m temps below zero and a 20mph wind piling in the snow showers in to give a foot of snow, and while I am at it there seems to be a clique developing among the usual suspects on the model thread.

SS2

Posted

Oh how i would love to see the sun again, its been so grey lately and it looks like anticyclonic gloom around a bland high pressure to come all week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, it's certainly been one of those months where I've been the precise opposite of the media. During the bright, snowy spell of the 1st-9th, I was really enjoying the weather, while the media were going on about how dreadful the weather was. Since the 10th, I've found this frequent dull drizzly weather quite depressing, but the media has been going on about how much-improved the weather has been. It must be noted, though, that I would have had nothing against a pattern change to much milder weather around the 10th-15th if it had involved a decent amount of sunshine.

A northerly would certainly bolster sunshine amounts considerably but no doubt we'd then get the media telling us how the weather had changed substantially for the worse.

I don't mind talk about a 'cold dull drizzly' outlook if that's an accurate reflection of the weather being forecast and an overcast drizzly day with temperatures in single figures, say, (in April) is actually what's expected.

Just noticed that part of the post, and I should make it clear that I, too, don't have a problem with the weather being described as 'cold dull drizzly' when that's actually what is forecast. However, we often see charts like this being described as sources of "cold dull drizzly weather that is no good to anyone", and that's when I have issues.