Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Site Investigation 15.11.09

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

As one of very many non expert storm peeps of the forum - that is a really very good analysis and not too hard to understandsmile.gif

Glad the analysis was easy to comprehend, sometimes wonder whether my ramblings are too technical.

Given the limited data we have available for re-analysis here in the UK (compared to that widely available in the US for such events) it's not always easy to portray what went on to create such conditions ... and I'm not totally sure what I've mentioned is exactly what lead to the tornado - but given what the charts were showing 24 hrs ahead for Saturday (e.g. shear, CAPE, etc.) ... I was not surprised at all that the tornado(es) developed hence the moderate risk.

Btw, here are the visible and thermal satellite images of the UK (courtesy of Dundee Satellite Receiving) at 09:10 on Saturday 14th November - pretty much the exact time when the tornado occured in Benfleet, Essex.

post-1052-1258497596868_thumb.jpg

post-1052-12584976237451_thumb.jpg

Posted

Interesting read, this storm woke me up as it was leaving, thunder was pretty frequent and at first I thought it was the wind, the rain was pretty impressive too, and very dark especially towards the South East. I would've had a better view but I just moved to a room with a north facing window. :unsure:

The anvil as the cells cleared was very impressive too.