Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm discussion: including convective possibilities

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

what a day it has been here, gales have caused some damage in my elevated position on the coast

and most importantly the flooding which is still ongoing and is going to get alot worse imo looking at met o rainfall radar another pulse of heavy rain to come, very worrying times indeed my mum was evacuated from her work today at 3pm in cockermouth.

the rain keeps falling and the water rising a very serious situation already will become extreme overnight with the forecast rainfall amounts....

river derwent at 930am today this is about 3 miles from cockermouth you can see the fields well and truely under water

Edited by james12

Posted

live sky news....trapped people trying to be rescued

edit

MY GOD thats worrying as the torrent is to strong for the rescue at present

am I correct in saying they dont know how many people trapped at present on the ground floor

Edited by dogs32

Posted

live sky news....trapped people trying to be rescued

edit

MY GOD thats worrying as the torrent is to strong for the rescue at present

They should have had them homes evacuated long ago. They wouldn't have been in this situation.

But stay safe everyone. And good luck to RAF

Edited by jello

Posted

Cockermouh looks frightening on the TV. Ive just driven up to west Cumbria from Preston, went over the Derwent about a mile west of Cockermouth town centre, it was right up to the underside of the bridge which is usually about 30-40 ft clear at that point!

Posted

I think what is causing he spectacular current down Cockermouh main street is that just a few hundred yards up from there the Cocker is forced through a rather small gap between 2 large, very old buildings and under a bridge that the main street goes over. Obviously when the river has risen 4 metres in a couple of hours (as reported on radio cumbria) this gap isnt big enough and the water is being forced down the main street at considerable speed.

Posted

Mods.

Can we have a new dedicated thread on this? I don't care if you see me as Mondy - The trouble-maker....

The thread is called "Storm discussion"..There is no storm.

It's a heavy as hell rainfall event for northern areas, which IMHO is now not linked to the "storms" of last week in southern UK.

Seriously, as a contributor to this forum for over 5 years, I struggle to find where to post the above..keep on top guys - it's waht makes NW a cut above the rest..

Posted

Yes locking this one now and will get a Convective Thread started either in a mo or Nick will do a Convective Forecast and new thread for tomorrow as there is a Convective Risk tomorrow mainly in the areas already affected by the floods.

Paul S