Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meteor Watch

mezzacyclone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

Based on the fact I saw a terrific Meteorite last night (est.22:20) traveling halfway across the sky in a North-westerly direction with a very thick trail and multiple colored splinters at the end I wonder if it be viable to begin a thread as these are common enough with many people taking to observing the skies more?

The best one I have ever seen and would not be surprised if nothing remained on the surface although it probably was way out over the Denmark Strait Iceland/Greenland way?

Just a thought? dismiss at will mods? Damn exciting to see mind! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Based on the fact I saw a terrific Meteorite last night (est.22:20) traveling halfway across the sky in a North-westerly direction with a very thick trail and multiple colored splinters at the end I wonder if it be viable to begin a thread as these are common enough with many people taking to observing the skies more?

The best one I have ever seen and would not be surprised if nothing remained on the surface although it probably was way out over the Denmark Strait Iceland/Greenland way?

Just a thought? dismiss at will mods? Damn exciting to see mind! biggrin.gif

I wanted to see the meteor shower last night but it was cloudy - the star gazer's nightmare!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

The Leonid meteor shower is underway atm, so the one you saw could be a part of that? Haven't seen anything here as it's been too cloudy, but might get lucky tonight as it has cleared for once!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

anyone see this report? quite spectacular footage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8367760.stm

Now that would have been quite amazing to witness first hand! Unbelievable magnitude/brightness?

The end when it comes will sure be quick for those in the nearby vicinity whenever the biggy arrives? :cc_confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

cctv footage of a meteor spotted over the skies of Gauteng, South Africa on the 21st of November 2009

http://www.liveleak....=0b8_1259445175

its an amazing video

Edited by willkani

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That's some meteor! :good:

Pete...best time is in the darkdoh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif ......sorry couldnt resist!!!!

:oops::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I ALWAYS find the Geminids to be the best shower for amateur watchers, purely because you can see them any time Gemini is high in the sky (anytime after around 9/10pm) I say at least 5 meteors last night, going out for 15 minutes at 11pm and about 10 minutes at 2am. It's the maximum tonight and would urge anyone who has clear skies to look, even in suburban lighting as this was where I saw them last night.

Posted

Great display last night from around 9.45pm. Clear skies meant we got about half an hour of watching before cold got the better of us! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Quadrantids tonight, around 7pm is a good time, 120ZHR, but the moon rises at 8:10pm and the radiant is low in the sky (Bootes) might be worth a quick look :drinks: