Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Polar Lows

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Hi Guy's!

Will someone with more weather nous have a look at the centre of the L.P. (that flung today's band of snow at us) and tell me it isn't starting to organise into a Polar Low.

I suppose by tomorrow a.m. we'll be able to see better but some of the recent infra red loops have me wondering just what will be visiting Scotland/Northern England later on Sunday/Early Monday.

I know that Polar Lows are a 'nowcast' feature but surely there are indications as to whether the formation of one is favourable and this is where my knowledge is lacking.

Ta in advance!smile.gif

Hi Guy's!

Will someone with more weather nous have a look at the centre of the L.P. (that flung today's band of snow at us) and tell me it isn't starting to organise into a Polar Low.

I suppose by tomorrow a.m. we'll be able to see better but some of the recent infra red loops have me wondering just what will be visiting Scotland/Northern England later on Sunday/Early Monday.

I know that Polar Lows are a 'nowcast' feature but surely there are indications as to whether the formation of one is favourable and this is where my knowledge is lacking.

Ta in advance!smile.gif

500mbs temps are there, but no other indicator is there. There is no chance of a PL. Just as there was no good agreement in Copenhagen, there will be no PL.

I have been stung too many times guessing that there will be a PL, there is no chance of it happening.

Posted

Thank's for the swift reply!biggrin.gif

Having never seen one in the making the wrap around and convection had me wondering.....I'll still need that peep first thing tomorrow though!!! (Lamp post watching on the macro scale).

Thank's for the swift reply!biggrin.gif

Having never seen one in the making the wrap around and convection had me wondering.....I'll still need that peep first thing tomorrow though!!! (Lamp post watching on the macro scale).

It may be possible...Mondy?? What's your take?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Will that band of showers move se and bring further snow to ne england? :winky:

Posted

It's no PL, probably nor likely to be. However, it's one big low pressure system gathering pace north of the UK about to enter (or is) an northerly airflow. http://meteocentre.c...ang=en&map=AtlN

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/IPPS/html/MSG/RGB/AIRMASS/WESTERNEUROPE/index.htm

I'd been watching it on the Eumetsat loop and it is only just wrapping around the low which has only dropped 1mb in the past 2 hrs.

It is progged to drop onto Scotland/N.England before exiting back into the north sea and ,judging by the showers into N Scotland, it's pretty cold in that airmass.

Posted

As posted on the Scottish thread, this from the earlier shipping forecast sums it up.

Low just north of Viking 988 expected Scotland 979 by midday tomorrow

It's not a PL, just a bog-standard LP entering northerly airmass.

Posted

It's not a PL, just a bog-standard LP entering northerly airmass.

Isn't that the route to a P.L.?

Anyhoo's, looks like another splodge of snow for the north in the least.smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Will that band of showers move se and bring further snow to ne england? :drinks:

is it? a reply would be nice :rofl:

Posted

Refresh your memory with this gem: http://www.zamg.ac.a...Ms/PL/index.htm

smile.gif

Cheers for that Monders! It was never commited to memory .....in me favorites now.

Posted

There was PL listed on a Meto fax chart I think two years ago. It later wasn't showing, but it's the first time I've seen one on a chart. Wish I'd saved the chart image!

There was PL listed on a Meto fax chart I think two years ago. It later wasn't showing, but it's the first time I've seen one on a chart. Wish I'd saved the chart image!

PL from Iceland mid-week?? 500s look to be very cold......